20 gauge slug vs muzzle loader

I have a lot of rifles and shotguns. But a few years back I got an in-line muzzle loader "just because".

That sucker turned out to be a heck of a lot of fun. I've never hunted in Tenn. but I would think it would be like Arkansas where I hunted as a kid. The ML would give you pretty much all the range you need for that sort of hunting.

Plus its a lot of fun. You can even load shot in a muzzle loader once you figure out the wadding.

I like the in-line as its a cinch to clean. Plus I like using shot gun primers.

Mines a 50 cal. but with the sabots I can shoot my cast 44 or 45 bullets. I did get a 50 cal. mold from Lee, it's quite accurate.

I don't have slugs for my 20 gage, but I cast and load 1 oz. slugs for my 12 gages. Its fun too.

A variety makes shooting more interesting.

There's also smokeless muzzeloaders, if you find a used Savage 10ML - they have some mustard on that slug, and are easy to clean up.

Although I wouldn't recommend it, the T/C Encore 209 Inline ML, and the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader are almost certainly strong enough for the lower end of the smokeless loads. Don't try it unless you really know what you are doing though.

Thanks guys. I picked up a Mosin Nagant M91/30 for 200 bucks. I'm going to use this. I think it will do the trick.

I was going to suggest this, and you beat me to it!

Mine do pretty well with the Privi PPU 150gr soft points. I have a pretty good handload (47gr of IMR4064 over a .311" 150gr Sierra soft point), too, if you are so inclined.

I have a slew of deer rifles but prefer to hunt deer with either my 870 20G or my 10.5" SBH .44mag.

I hunt thick brush.

With that said, either of those firearms can handle some distance only limited by me the shooter. My SBH is pretty good out to 75yds. The 870 with cantilevered/rifled barrel is good to 100-125yds and the 870 with the smooth bore rifled slug/rifled sighted barrel is good to 75 yards

IMG_20150821_210716391.jpg

Good choice on the Mosin. Practice a lot with the open sights! If you ever wanted to upgrade to something that is more optics friendly, take a good look at the Ruger American rifle.

Every year I hunt in a restricted area of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. This is north-west of the Philadelphia suburbs where high power rifles are prohibited but shotguns and muzzle-loaders are OK. I prefer my modern in-line CVA ML because less recoil than a slug gun. Accuracy is slightly better, too.

Jack

Last edited:
Back