20 gauge slug vs muzzle loader

bspillman

I'm looking to deer hunt with one of these. I have a 20 gauge already but I am not against picking up a muzzle loader if need be. Maybe doing long distance shots I'm hunting in TN. Which one?

Is there any particular reason not to use a rifle in TN? I can see using either if rifles aren't allowed or for special seasons, but if a rifle is legal I'd always go that way.

If the 20 ga has a rifled barrel and sabot slugs are used it is probably close, but I'd still give the edge to a Muzzle loading rifle. That would also depend on the caliber of the rifle too.

Unless you are operating under some kind of legal restriction (like muzzleloader season or a shotgun-only area) then don't pick either. A proper rifle is far more effective.

Guys I agree a rifle is the best way to go but I can't find a rifle in my budget. Like I said I already have a 20 gauge and I can gat a nice used muzzle loader under 200. Thanks.

I hunt all of the seasons and deal with many restrictions depending on the area I am hunting. I have both a 20 gauge fully rifled barrel and a muzzle loader that are both scoped and have harvested numerous deer from 20 to 125yards with no problems. Now when it is allowed my first choice would by far be a rifle. I know you mentioned a budget and I am not familiar with this rifle but it caught my eye this weekend in a local sporting goods store. It was a brand new CVA Hunter single shot rifle, 243, with a Konus 3-9 scope for $199.99.

If you can spend 200 for a ML, then your best bet is to shop around for a good used deer rifle. Yes, you can find a decent open-sighted $200 rifle if you are patient.

I agree that a rifle is better, and there are several good used rifles that can be had for $200. If you go to $350, there are some good budget rifles you can get new.

Between the 20G you have and a used Muzzleloader...I would stick with the 20g. Muzzleloaders are a whole other set of parameters, maintenance, tricks, etc. I have a "budget" muzzle loader, the TC Impact and use Blackhorn 209...arguably the easiest system that avoids some of the ML issues, but still some effort to get it dialed in. Stock open sights, I shot 3" 100 yard groups with it. Cost is over $1/shot.

Premium 20g slugs are $2 to $3 a round, but I can put 3 into less than 2" at 100 yards and the on target energy is very close to the ML. With slugs like the 250 grain Hornady SST Sabot, the trajectory is similar to a .50 caliber ML with midrange loads with conicals.

In Ohio, where those two and pistols were the only choices for many years, my son opted for the muzzleloader over his smoooth bore 20 guage. Its far more accurate, and gives a lot more range. If the 20 were rifles, and shooting saboted slugs, the range difference would not be so great.

If you are hunting in an area where shots under 100 yards are typical, the big bore muzzleoader is probably more effective than most rifle cartridges for dropping them faster. I do agree though, that if you have $200, and you are looking for greater distances well beyond 100 yards, you can easily an old military rifle in 8x57, 7x57, 303 or some other used rfile that will do a better job.

"...Maybe doing long distance shots..." Not with either a shotgun or ML depending on what you call 'long distance'. Both are roughly 150ish yard firearms. Lotta variables involved though.
"...have a 20 gauge..." What sights? Rifled barrel?

I guess for me it would depend on what ML and what you .20 ga was. If you are talking about a well made, good quality ML I would take it without hesitation. If your .20 ga has a rifled barrell I would take it over a cheap ML. If it is a smoothbore barrell and you are limited to foxter type slugs, then accuracy is unlikely to be stellar. I would spend a few buck on a couple boxes of .20 ga slugs and see how it shoots. If it is not acceptable I would haunt the pawn shops and used gun stores to see if I could find a well used but good quality rifle chambered in anything from a .243 on up. sometimes rifles that have been treated poorly and look terrible are cheap enough, and often the inside is fine, or can be cleaned up easily. I currently have a Marlin .243 that I bought for $200 cash, stuck a cheap Simmons scope I had laying around on it, and viola, it won't ever win any competitions but no deer will ever walk away because it didn't do its part.

Just checked Academy Sports, they have a CVA Hunter single shot with fiber optic sights in .243 or 7-08 listed for $189. Not the prettiest of rifles but certainly useable.

Last edited:
If the 20 ga has a smooth bore and field barrel then just use slugs in it for now. Even with just a bead sight it is possible out to 50yards, maybe a touch more. I wouldn't buy a slug barrel for it.

Just use what you have until you can afford a decent rifle.

FWIW I started the same way. For the 1st couple of seasons I deer hunted it was with the only gun I had, a SXS 12 ga and 00 buckshot. The 3rd year I used a rifle one of my teachers at school loaned me for the season. By the 4th year I had enough to buy a rifle. That was 1974 and I still have it.

If you want a muzzle loader because you get to hunt a special season, get one. If you just like muzzle loaders, get one. If you just want something to hunt deer effectively, get a rifle. Academy Sports is advertising single shot rifles with iron sights in .243 and 7mm-08 for $179.99. If you shop around, you might find a nicer used deer rifle for less than $200.

Ceteris paribus, a rifled gun beats a smoothbore in accuracy any day of the week - a modern inline muzzleloader is far superior. A semi-primitive ML (sidelock / percussion cap) is also superior by a material margin. Accuracy is king. Now if you're talking "rifled shotgun" which is an oxymoron but you know what I mean, with saboted slugs, then it's about a wash, but a modern inline ML still has it beat (more velocity), especially a saboted bullet (.50=>.45 / .44, .45=>.40, .45=>.357)

.45 M.L.

Ceteris paribus, a rifled gun beats a smoothbore in accuracy any day of the week - a modern inline muzzleloader is far superior
Totally agree and you can get some fantastic performance out of many Sabotted boat tails in the .45. The ballistics are actually more like a modern center-fire rifle. Again, to for a .45 as oppose to a .50. .... :)

I would still prefer the SideLocks over a slugger. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Like many have said, $200 buys a good rifle. We aren't talking anything fancy but at the least it can get you a nice single shot. The H&R/NEF singles aren't too hard to come by and you can expect to pay around $200 for a used one usually. They can be had in about every popular round and many oddballs. But if you want a repeater they are out there for that price too. Less desirable military rifles can be had for under $200. A .303 is a decent option with easy to find ammo. Shop good enough and you can get more expensive guns cheap. I've seen Savage 110s and Winchester 94s under $200. Nothing wrong with a muzzle loader but if you want cheap there's other options.

A few years back we used a single shot rifled 20 gauge for a handicapped hunt in Ill. The Federal slugs we used were exactly the same projectile as I used in the Knight muzzle loader we took on a handicapped hunt in Nebraska. Shooting the two guns side by side, the only difference was the smoke cloud from the black powder. Similar velocities, accuracy, and projo equals nearly identical results-just easier to load the slug gun.
If your slug gun is not rifled, the muzzle loader will have 50-100% more range. For me more range and accuracy trumps faster followup shots.

Sounds like the budget is really small. Muzzle loader =~ $200 plus accessories, balls, powder, patches etc. 20ga =~ $6 for a box of slugs. Done deal to me. I live next to a state own park where hunting is legal but only shot gun or bow. I have many neighbors who take deer and bear with 20 ga slugs every year. Just practice long range with ot before you hunt. GTG.

Back