20 Gauge Ruger Over and under shotgun

ATN082268

I recently inherited a Ruger Over and Under 20 Gauge shotgun. I will probably keep it for sentimental value but wanted to know what other people use the 20 Gauge for and how it will stack up in a self defense role. I saw some #1 Buckshot and wondered about using that round for self defense. I live in a fairly rural area and might consider using a slug in one of the barrels. I appreciate some input. Thank you.

A 20ga buckshot load is plenty adequate for most people's self defense needs. The "power" really isnt any less than 12ga - there are simply fewer pellets.

That being said, there are far better options than a double barrel for home defense these days. But if thats what you're most comfortable with, have at it. Its certainly served that role in the past.

A reliable 12 or 20ga pump shotgun can be had for less than $250 which will more than double your firepower.

Your 20ga Red Label will feel most at home on the skeet fields or going after pheasant :)

Just keep in mind that the Ruger Red Label has been discontinued twice and Ruger is no longer providing any kind of factory support.

They are not heavy duty clays guns that are known for reliability but I've owned two of them and I do love the look and feel. That said, it would be a lot better for HD than a sharp stick.

Not my first choice for HD but I would love to have one for clays.

I'm kind of fond of Ruger. I know the Red Label had its issues but they are beautiful guns and well its a Ruger ;)

Well Known

I love the look and feel of the Red Label.
Not on my "list" as mentioned it's been discontinued twice. It's unlikely to see anyone seriously using one for clay's.
They have a well deserved reputation on the clay's field, and it's not a good one. Durability is a key ingredient, and the Red label lacks it.

I grew up shooting a 20ga redlabel. I put a couple thousand rounds down the tube over the course of a few years until my dad sold it. It didn't have a single issue. I can't say that much for the newer RL. I own a 12ga and haven't had any real issues yet. I've had three FTF and am blaming it on hard primers. I did alot of research and discovered that all breeds of shotguns were having issues with the same primers I was using at the time. Was it the gun? Maybe, I still have time to find out. Although im up to approximately 500 rounds with only the 3 issues I mentioned and they were in the first two boxes.. We shall see. It has suffered a bad reputation, especially the new models that came out just a few years ago so I can definitely understand most shooters don't trust them. If I was competing it would be with something other than a RL. For my back yard clay shoots however I feel it breaks them as good as any. If I had the extra money laying around I'd buy an older model 20ga to go with the 12 I have without a doubt. They aren't for everyone, but I enjoy mine and it's somewhat sentimental to me. Enjoy it.

For every gun topic, there is a "defender of the breed". No one said Ruger never made a single good RRL. The problem was they made way too many bad ones. If I didn't have one I wouldn't buy one, and wouldn't advise anyone else to either.

I think you mistook my post Virginian. I wouldn't say that I was defending them. Infact I said they've had alot of problems and I wouldn't trust them as a competitor. Merely stating my personal experience with the two I've experienced. With all due respect of course.

My apologies Matt.
I have a buddy that has a 28 ga RRL and has never had a moments trouble in decades. He bought a new RRL II and it went back to Ruger twice and they finally refunded his money saying they could not fix it. Baffles me, an O/U isn't THAT complicated. I am thinking something about the investment casting process doesn't 'fit'. I wanted a Gold Label before they too died.

I want an O/U someday. When I see a Red Label, I look at it but the price and reputation is enough to resist the urge.

The used ones go for $800-1000 around here. Thats just too much.

I have the first generation in 12, 20 & 28 , the 20 & 28 have been ok and the 28 I really enjoy , the 12 has had issues over the years. I picked them up because US made , they fit pretty good and Ruger's reputation . I was always disappointed Ruger could not make a go of it for O/U and their SxS. They do not get used much now and I mainly go to the Beretta 686 series which fit me very well and have had many more rounds with no issues. For SD it would not be my first choice but would work if you had to .

I hear you Virginian, I wish to hell they just worked and didn't have any issues ever!! I would love to have an American made O/U that had the reputation of the others. Just isn't the case. Certainly not with the newer models. Like I said I enjoy mine and it's been ok. Not perfect but ok. It just sucks that an entry level browning or Beretta is a good ways out of my price range or I'd own one of each as well.

I have a buddy that has a 28 ga RRL and has never had a moments trouble in decades.

So HE got the good one they put out. Me. not as lucky. Three trips back to Ruger (and this was supposed to be the one model they got right); replaced everything inside three times, and away it went.
Now, the Ruger Security Six and No.1 RSI in 243 I had - those were great - the O/U, not so much.

It's so aggravating that they were so hit or miss. I must have had over 20 Ruger handguns and rifles with no problem other than having to deal with the too tight throats on revolvers because Ruger screws the barrels in too tight. S&W stopped pinning barrels and managed to avoid barrels coming unscrewed without that problem. Ruger just seems to be stubborn on some things. Ruger is a world class leader with investment castings, but... Pure speculation, but I think the castings have enough variability that the CNC machines cannot get a precise repeatable lock on the receivers to get the interior machining correct for an O/U or SxS.

If you're going to use a shotgun for HD at least pick one that's proven to be reliable. The Ruger Red Lable has been proven to be just the opposite.

Last edited:
Back