2 questions on CCW / CHL

I am a big guy, I can conceal fairly easy. I just don't see the point of "full size" concealment. I carry 2 guns, and when is depending on time of year.

1. Hk p30. I carry this as much as possible. It's not quite a full size gun, but plenty big enough. I carry it whenever I wear an undershirt. The aggressive grip chews my fat rolls up without an undershirt.

2. Smith & Wesson 642. A little front pocket gun that you forget your carrying. Great for summer carry.

The largest guns that I personally carry are 4-5" barrel S&W N-Frame revolvers in cooler weather when I can wear a coat to conceal them. The largest I ever carried was the 5 1/2" barrel Ruger Redhawk that I later sold to my younger brother. I carried that gun exactly once in a shoulder holster during the winter just to see if I could. The shoulder holster was a cheapie and not particularly comfortable, but with a better rig it would have been entirely doable.

Large CCW

I carried my Uberti Walker in an IWB holster just a few days ago but I have shoulder rigs for my .44 Automag, S&W 624 and another rig so I can carry the walker under one arm and my 624 under the other. The longest is my Uberti Cattleman in .44 Magnum with 18 inch barrel.

I carry a glock 21 concealed regularly. Like someone else mentioned, you can carry a ton if you dress right. I have had an mp 5, glock 21 and a BUG plus other gear (mags for same, radio, sap, cuffs knife, etc.) All concealed.

I've EmCeed from on stage in a night club while carrying a lightweight Commander in my hip pocket, covered by my square-tailed sport shirt--and nobody knew. :)

A Coronado leather vest hides a full-size 1911 okay.

Springfield XD 4" w/ a Pearce grip extension is the largest I routinely CC. At 6', 215lbs, I can do this fairly easily with an XL shirt using a IWB at 4:00.

As far as the biggest I've heard of, that depends on whether we are talking winter or summer carry. An XD is pretty much the largest I've seen once coats come off. G17 and GP100 are the biggest I've seen in winter.

When I first became a Police Officer, I carried the same gun on and off duty. A full sized Colt Government Model and two spare mags. Milt Sparks Roadrunner holster, right hip. I used old bdu shirts with the sleeves torn off in the summer.

After discovering I wasn't really getting into that many shoot outs off duty, I started carrying less and less. I've gone through alot of different combinations.

I'm pretty happy now with a Sig P239 DAK in 357 Sig, carried appendix, and an extra mag. A T shirt is all I need to conceal it.

I will still occasionally just carry a 3" S&W 65 in my waistband with a speedloader.

It does get old, after 30 years, of always dressing around a gun. I feel pretty well armed with my choices though.

1. My Ruger SR9 or my K frame Combat Masterpiece

2. I don't and I can't answer that . . . if might be a howitzer for all I know . . . if it's "concealed" - I can't see it. :D

Back