1st line defense---Home Invasion.

These all sound like excellent suggestions and I might add planting some really thorny roses or other painful plant around your secondary points of entry/exit (windows). A burglar is probably not apt to climb through a wicked rose bush to get into your house, but when your house is on fire, and you begin to get second-degree burns on your behind, jumping through a rose bush won't seem that bad.

As for dogs, I have a few favorites:

Belgian Malinois - the true devil-dog itself. These things are just plain evil to those who it dislikes. Although similar in size and looks to a GSD, the Malinois has more fight/dog ratio.

GSD (German Shepard Dog)- Great if you have young children around, not quite as aggressive as the first and has a strong protection instinct. I have one because I fear the Malinois!

As for gender, keep in mind that GENERALLY, a male is more territorial. It will defend his territory (your house, and property), but not quite as protective of the persons.
Females tend to be more "pack" protective, vigorously protecting you and yours, but not quite as defensive about property. These are simply generalities that I've observed. There are exceptions to the rule, but from what I've seen, not many.

Any mutt could provide you a HUGE enhancement of your security, plus they won't set you back a fortune, and they tend to have less inherited health problems.

As for a really mean woman, ya'll can have my ex-wife, but I doubt that you would want her once she digs her claws into you and your bank account. If you do want her, make sure you have an excellent attorney!

I am in the midst of getting a house built.
It will have the following security features:

Motion sensor lights around perimeter.

Good steel external doors with reinforcing plates around
handles and deadbolts. Extra long screws securing door frame to house framing.

Xtra heavy duty (ANSI Grade 2+ or Grade 1) door locks and deadbolts.

Heavy slide bolts on garage car door and man-door into the garage door. Plus other reinforcing.

Reinforcing of the doors and frames into the garage.

Keyed locks on all windows and sliding door.

Locking bar on sliding door.

Solid core external grade doors to master bedroom and walk in bathroom, with solid dead bolts.

Steel security screen doors to front door and garage door with solid deadbolts.

Whatever reinforcing ideas I can come up with that are designed to stop a 7' crazed viking berserker on crack...

Hard-wired underground driveway alarm. The e-address of the manufacturer of the one with which I am happy is MIERINC@aol.com. The alarm is triggered by motion of any metal within 14 feet of the sensor, which is buried beside the entrance to the driveway. I have the alarm itself in my bedroom, but it can be heard throughout the house. No one can approach the house in a vehicle without my being instantly alerted.

Back