1944 dou kar98k

Thank you.

$15. Each?

That means at that time $1200 could buy 80 of them.

Hah.

If you had 80 of them now, you’d have what would be worth about $60,000 or so.

So what was a good car worth when they sold for $15 each?

Maybe we can see if they are increasing in value or just keeping up with inflation.

So what was a good car worth when they sold for $15 each?

Depended on the car. :D

The $15 ones were a bit before my time, I got into them when they were around $40 or so...and in those days $300 would get you a "good" car, but not a nice one, or a new one.

When we look at what things are worth vs. what they cost, (asking price in $) its a moving scale, and it's been moving faster and faster every since they took the dollar off the gold standard.

when I started buying my own, a McDonalds basic burger was $0.20, but shortly after went up to $0.25! :eek:

What things are worth also depends on what they are. In the early 80s, you could get a good Remington 12ga pump for $200 (or less) or you could get a good Canon dot matrix printer....

That same shotgun is still worth money today, the printer? not so much...

I love it when the younger guys get all excited about $50 rifles and $15 cars. But you have to understand that we thought $50 an hour was really, really good for semi-skilled labor wages. In 1974 I made $1.60/hr working in a gas station, so a $50 rifle was a full week's wages. In 1978 I was making $12/hour as a machinist and that was really good wages then, I bought my first brand new Ruger 77 off the shelf for $209.

Back when Mitchell's Mausers was advertising very good looking 98ks for $450, I was amused by the fact that their asking price was several hundred dollars more than what you paid at gunshops and gunshows for a slightly less "pretty" one. Then came allegations of "forced match" serial numbers, and true or not, that ensured I wasn't going to touch one of their guns at anything near their asking price.

Time flies, and what still seems to me like just a couple years back is now decade(s?) past, and someone asking double what Mitchell wanted for a fair condition 98k just seems unreal to me.

If you've got the bucks, or trade goods and you want it, go for a $900 98K, Its not worth it, to me, but that's just me...

I got my first 98k for $14.95 at Monkey Wards back in 1963. It was a birthday present from my Dad. I shot the heck out of it and still shoot it on occasion to this day. It is marked BRNO and Czech made. All matching numbers.

Back