1943 Colt 1911- pics

Boogieman, there's a dealer that frequents a gun show over in Oaks PA that has/had a boatload of parts for 1911's, including a box of used barrels. I checked out a few and they appeared Ok and useable, but I didn't buy any....figured if I needed one I could always find one. That was a couple years ago, but what you're looking for is probably a gun show item. Sorry I didn't get his card and can't be more helpful.

The magazine is GI, just not from the WWII era. I checked and CAGE code 1M291 is Checkmate Industries, which provided most of the magazines used with the M1911A1 pistol in its final years of service.

The numbers on the baseplate might correspond with those of mags made by Check-Mate, but I still don't think that's a Check-Mate mag (just as there are lots of mags with prancing horses on them that are not authentic Colt mags).
We can agree that it's not original to the gun in question, regardless.

There is really no question about the manufacturer of that magazine. The Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) Code 1M291 was assigned to Checkmate and no one else. The other numbers are stock numbers.

WWII magazines were generally marked on the top of the front lip of the baseplate with the code for the manufacturer. Colt-made magazines were unmarked. The others were:

L - M.S. Little Mfg. Co., Hartford, CT
R - Risdon Mfg. Co., Naugatuck, CT
S - Scovill Mfg. Co., Waterbury, CT
G - General Shaver Div. of Remington Rand, Bridgeport, CT

Markings on the bottom of the lip had the letters L, R, or S, preceded by "C-", indicating magazines made for Colt. FWIW, the four companies (not including Colt) produced a total of about 9,167,000 magazines on WWII contracts.

Jim

I have seen a lot of fakes marked Colt .45, sometimes with a "pony"; I have never seen a fake Checkmate. (Why? Checkmates are OK, but have little value except as magazines - would anyone actually collect them?)

Jim

There's a long thread on forum.m1911.org about magazines, and lots of discussion and speculation about the origins of magazines that are purported to be military issue (some concluding that most post war "G.I." mags are fakes).
There's a thread on 1911forum about mags available from CMP, which I'd expect to be authentic U.S.G.I., and while the baseplate markings match those in the pics above, the latter looks lumpy and of poor quality.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=170471

I have no idea what CMP is selling; they don't have to use government contract magazines.

WWII magazines can still be obtained at gun shows, sometimes for $10 or less, if you know what to look for.

Yes, there are magazines being sold that are supposedly GI; many were leftover from a maker whose output was rejected by the Army as not in compliance with specifications (CAGE Code 30745). Others have markings similar to those of Colt commercial magazines, but are not Colt.

I can only say that I know of no faking of Checkmate magazines. As in any other area of gun collecting, when something becomes valuable enough, there will be fakes. Buying a Colt Paterson without knowing what you are doing might ultimately be a costly and unpleasant experience. Buying magazines the same way will be lest costly, but perhaps equally unpleasant in the long term.

Jim

The magazine for me is a non issue. Its not like these guns take something special or out of the ordinary. It may be the most common mag on the market. If I happened across a WWII issue mag I may grab it to go with the period ammo.

Is there anyway to find out who,where this pistol was issued? Or what its service life has been?

Nope. Issue records were kept at company level and destroyed when outdated or the unit demobilized.

Once in a while some records turn up, but they are at best a "snapshot" showing only the situation at one unit on one date. Or some veteran writes that he was issued 1911A1 number 1234567.

Jim

Your SN falls within a narrow SN range around where 1911 slide stops have been observed it's probably left the factory with it. Correct barrel would be have the COLT 45 AUTO on the left rear, a P on the left lug and a large G on the bottom (forward of the lug). You will be hard pressed to find a large G barrel for $100 ... more like $250-300.

There is one on evilbay right now (8/5) that is currently at $82.99 with one day to go.

It has been parkerized, but other than that it looks pretty good.

I have been watching eBay, didnt see the one that the PP mentioned. Where should I look for a large G barrel?
Any ideas on why the original barrel isnt intact? You can see from the pics I posted this gun has little wear on it from shooting. I cant imagine that the barrel was shot out

Boogieman, I saw a guy at the Oaks gun show on Saturday with an incredible amount of Colt, RemRand, & Ithica 1911 guns & parts, including a lot of barrels. I asked the price, and for my RemRand it was $250; I didn't ask about Colt. He was from Florida, & I got his card at home, & if you're interested let me know I'll get you his contact info.

I got in touch with Indian River Collectables yesterday. Curtis seems like a great guy and very knowledgable. He is asking $350 for a barrel that he says is in great condition and gives me the right to return no questions asked if I dont agree.
Will the addition of a correct barrel make this gun worth another $350 or more? Is it likely that I can find another correct barrel in good condition for less $$$$. So far this is the only one I have come across

How much do you think you could sell your current barrel for? Then you're only talking about the increase in the difference. Unless you're going to be shooting it often and want to keep the correct barrel as a spare in case the other breaks.

He's got so much stuff, it's likely he'll have a correct barrel for a long time if you can't find a better deal. Keep checking gun shows for awhile. You'll probably catch up with him later at a show and maybe he'll offer a better price.

Try contacting 1911 Tuner (I haven't seen him here for a while though). He might have something.

Last edited:
$350.00 for a "correct" barrel?" That guy is on drugs. I daresay you can find that same "correct" barrel for around a hundred bucks give or take, on eBay if you're just patient enough to do a little looking.

Forget him and look around. Don't be in such a hurry to make the gun "right."

I felt like it was a bit high also. But, being in NJ its not like I often come across this type of stuff. Either way I guess I can fall back on IRC. He did say he would be at Oaks show again this fall. Im not really planning on selling the gun so correct or not is only for my own benefit.

Back