1938 220 swift model 70

First: Edward, thanks for ref. that book, just found and ordered in from Amazon.

OP: Just an opinion of a huge Model 70 fan. I wouldn't refinish it. Unless I'm not seeing the pictures clear enough the finish look a lot like my '49 Model 70 in '06. If possible, I would try to get the original steal butt plate. I don't recall them putting the rubber pads on Model 70s back then.

Over all I think you have a winner.

I couldn't tell from the pictures but what scope is that. When I bought the above rifle they had an original El Paso Weaver K-4. I thought it was the only scope that should belong on this rifle. The scope wasn't for sale, but when I started crying and whining like a Yankee he through the scope in the deal just to get me out of the store. (I have no shame when it comes to Model 70s).

A little story about the 220 Swift. Many years ago, early 80s, I was the company commander of the AK ARNG Native Guard Unit on St. Lawrence Island. I was flying into the Village of Savoonga when we had to do a fly over because there was a polar bear on the runway. One of my guardsmen killed the bear, one shot with his 220 Swift ( also an older Model 70).

Back