1938 220 swift model 70

King Cobb

Inactive
I have found me a nice shooter 220 swift model 70 that was made in 1938 and thought I would share it with you gents. It is in fairly good shape except it had been drilled for the scope and the barrel and action appear to be parkerized. The inside of the barrel itself is in great shape ad is most of the wood.

Excited to get it as finding a shooter grade 220 that isn't priced like a collector has taken me a while.

Attachments

• 2017-01-23 12.18.16.jpg
    2017-01-23 12.18.16.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 430
  • 2017-01-23 12.17.55.jpg
    2017-01-23 12.17.55.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 2017-01-23 12.01.25.jpg
    2017-01-23 12.01.25.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 106
A few more.

Attachments

• 2017-01-23 12.18.35.jpg
    2017-01-23 12.18.35.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 2017-01-23 12.17.38.jpg
    2017-01-23 12.17.38.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 2017-01-23 12.16.14.jpg
    2017-01-23 12.16.14.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 67
2 questions

I have 2 quick questions if I may?

1. If I was interested in some day getting the parkerizing removed and bluing the barrel is that something that can be done, or would removing the parkerizing take off the too much of the writting on the barrel and action?

2. I have access to an old steel butt plate that my uncle has. I think I can get it if the stock length will still be correct, but I am betting I would have to get it fitted to the stock correct?

I'm sure someone could remove he parkerizing and reblue it for you but you're best to find that person and ask their opinion.

As for the stock.
Is it to long for you? If so you're going to need to figure out how much length of pull you really need. That's the room between your shoulder and the trigger.
Removing the recoil pad and replacing with a steel pad would probably shorten that by 3/4 to an inch.

attachment.php

If the stock is original and not cut a stock plate could be acquired. But if it has been altered a stock plate won't work and one would need to be fitted. Shaving metal would probably cost more than shaping a new recoil pad.

No its not too long for me. I am quite familiar with length of pull. I just have several old Parker Shotguns that have the steel butt plates on them and like the look, plus since my uncle has one sitting around it wouldn't cost too much to put it on if I can convince him to let me have it. It would make it a little more original, and I just like the look of the steel plates compared to the butt pad that is on it. Its a 220 swift, it isn't like recoil is a problem.

First thing I would do is put a dab of liquid soap on a philips screwdriver and remove the recoil pad. Then see if it's to short for you. If no trace the stock on a piece of paper and take it with you when you go talk to your uncle.

example

Near any example of gunmaking from that era pleases me, parkerized, hot shot caliber, or not.

Since the rifle has been refinished, I wonder if the stock is original to the rifle, not that it really matters. No point in a pad on a Swift, possibly got swapped during the refinish.

The Swift is a screamer, no doubt.

As near as I can tell from comparing it to my uncle's guns, the finish on the stock is original. I read somewhere about the stock being serialed to the gun, but can't remember where to look for that serial.

That looks like an OLD pad. Shortening it may be detrimental if the gun fits you now. It isn't a collector piece like you said, why not just replace the pad with a new one. That old red pad looks like it's hard, like one I have on an old Remington...it's hard as a brick & useless....I'm replacing mine.

As this is obviously not a collector, would I be nuts to refinish the wood? It has some places that have no finish on them and at least one spot on the back of the stock where it is discolored from either water under the finish or oil in the wood.

I have refinished various guns before when the wood finish was mostly gone-a parker VH, 1st year 870, a 1971 model 70 22-250, so I am familiar with the process and I have a thing of John Kay winchester restoration stock oil from somewhere that is supposed to be good for the job.

I will decide for sure on the refinish after I get it paid off. The pics I have of it make the finish look worn through but it may not be that bad.

I'm going on some very old memories about a similar rifle. I got it at an estate sale, back in the early 80's. It had an odd finish on the barrel, and after some research, I found that the rifle had a Stainless barrel. Winchester couldn't blue it like they did for std steel, so they used this finish. I don't remember if the action had the same finish.

Experimenting on a beat up new fw stock I picked up. 1st coat after stripping it and sanding it down to 600. Using the stuff John Kay made famous.

Attachments

• 2017-01-29 16.20.35.jpg
    2017-01-29 16.20.35.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 26
here is a good read:
Alaska's Wolf Man: The 1915-55 Wilderness Adventures of Frank Glaser
written by Jim Rearden

Glaser killed wolves as a contract hunter for the feds up in McKinley Park. He used a .220 Swift model 70, or maybe a 54. Been a while since read the story.

Congrats on the cool rifle acquisition.

Back