1927 Ithaca SxS & modern loads?

Jim ,
To add to your information .Those restrictions were the reason that a full choke is designated by a 4 a modified by a 2 etc.

Glenn

Jim ,
Yes Ithaca used it more than some other companies . My Lefever Nitro Special has a 2 and a 4 on the flats by the lug on the bottom of the barrels .
On the early Model 37s it is on the barrel near the serial number . On latter guns it was added as -4 , -2 etc after the serial number . I think Ithaca stopped doing it after 1964 .
I can't remember seeing it on a Remington but I do remember it on a Winchester .

Glenn

I've got an Ithaca "Flues" model form 1909 with "smokeless steel barrels. I have tried it with Remington Game Club target loads (1 1/8 oz #8/ 2 3/4 DE) and it worked fine. Mine is very worn but locks up tight. Have switched to using all brass cases loaded with 75 gn of 2F black powder, nitro card, fiber wad, 1 1/8 oz shot and over shot card. Traditional with lots of smoke and fun. But I also shoot trap with an 1850's English single barrel (14 ga.) muzzle loader so the Ithaca seems modern to me.

1936 Lefever A Grade Skeet has handled High and Low base modern shells in the field and on the line for the 30 years I've owned it. Tight as a tick.

I have a 1947 LC Smith 12 Field Grade.

The info I've gleaned indicates it is safest to shoot with a 3 dram or less load. this seems to be around 1200 fps loads.

Also, the info I've gleaned strongly recommends avoiding steel shot, as the barrel wasn't designed for it. There was no concern about the barrel exploding, but that the forcing cone or choke area would get deformed and it could affect patterning, and the force might cause the rib to separate from the barrels from vibration [not something I think is likely though]

I like to stick with 2 3/4 dram equivalents, or less.

That would be something like a 1 1/8 load [7 or 8 shot] around 1145fps, or a 1oz load moving around 1180fps.

The issue of a 3 1/4 dram or 3 1/2 dram equivalent wasn't so much about the barrel/breech not holding up, but that the force could crack the thin neck area of the stock, requiring stock repairs.

I have others for kick butt rounds [870 express Super Magnum for 3 1/2 inch shells], so I'd rather keep the loads lite and keep the gun for a LONG time.

Due to all of this, I agree with the above people and say to stick to #3 ammo on your list.

Thanks for all your input.

Just as an update, I took it to the local Sporting Clays range, and used light target loads. It shot just fine, and garnered some attention from the regulars who were happy to see a vintage SXS that's been in the family for 4 generations being used.

I also took on a trip to SD for some pheasants in November. I mainly used my 28" 870, but broke out the Ithaca on occasion. My greatgrandfather used it for hunting, so it just seemed appropriate that it should see at least some field duty again. It's noticeably lighter than my 870, so it's easier to carry all day, but it recoils noticeably more as well.

Now, THAT is cool Mr. Borland, and I am sure your greatgrandfather would have wanted it that way!
Awesome.

FITASC said:
Now, THAT is cool Mr. Borland, and I am sure your greatgrandfather would have wanted it that way!
Awesome.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm sure he'd be tickled to see it still used and enjoyed.

Here's a pic of my (89 year old) NID in it's glory...
Tom%20SD%20pheasant%20hunt%202015%202_zps5uuoz2fj.jpg

And some of the bounty...
Bird%20cache_zps3hzbebcl.jpg

Back