1922 fn miss fire

1922 FN

I would get a new mag. Always a good thing to do and if it doesn't work you have an extra mag.

I passed on buying one of these a year ago that needed some TLC and I'm regretting that decision now. This one had some looseness on the rails and splattered rounds on the target a bit but I always loved taking it down. It also was a cool looking little gun. Had a question not relevant to the discussion but is it a barrel swap only to go from .32 to .380 in the 1922? I never could determine if that was the case.

Sorry that last part was no help but had to throw it in.

Pico

Pico said:
This one had some looseness on the rails and splattered rounds on the target a bit but I always loved taking it down.
FWIW I've concluded from handling numerous FN 1910's and 1922's that FNH deliberately built them with very generous clearances between the barrel, frame, and slide. This was likely done primarily for reasons of production economy, but it also enhances reliability. Consequently, they generally do NOT shoot like match pistols- but they arguably weren't meant to. They were meant for close-range self-defense, and IMHO they work great for this, if you can accept the low-powered cartridges they fire; the combination of a low-recoil cartridge and a ridiculously low bore axis (due to the absence of a separate guide rod) gives them virtually zero muzzle rise during rapid-fire. :cool:

I have concluded, however, that the typically loose slide-to-frame is the reason for one issue I've written about in past 1910/1922 threads: the thumb safety generally doesn't work well as a slide stop. If the slide is locked back with the safety, the slide of many of these pistols will randomly slam shut when the pistol is shaken, or even when it's gently set down on the table at the range. :( I think my past advice bears repeating: (a) do NOT use the safety as a slide release while reloading, as this will gradually round off the notch in the slide and make the problem worse; and (b) during cease-fires, I prefer to wedge the slide open with an empty cartridge case in the ejection port, rather than relying on the safety to hold the slide back.
Pico said:
...but is it a barrel swap only to go from .32 to .380 in the 1922?
This is what I have been told, although I have NOT tried it.

I CAN tell you, however, that the 7.65mm and 9mm magazines are basically interchangeable; the only differences are the number of witness holes and the angle of the feed lips. The former can be disregarded, and the latter can be adjusted with pliers. :)
groovedoggie1 said:
Ordered a striker spring from Numrich - will see what that does.
Good luck- keep us posted. :)

Nuts

I should have bought it. When in doubt, always buy the gun, my new motto...

Thanks, carguy! Great info.

Pico

Problem Solved! Thank you all!

I have an FN 1922 that had this malfunction ("click" when attempting to fire rounds when the magazine was loaded with more than two rounds). This is the strangest malfunction I have ever seen.

I replaced the striker, and the problem was solved. On closer inspection, the striker protrusion that contacts the sear is slightly different on the two strikers. I wonder if it was out of spec from 80 years of use, or replaced later with a non-OEM part.

Before finding this thread, I tried 3 separate magazines, and replaced the striker spring and recoil springs with new ones from wolf, and neither of these options helped.

Once again, Thank you!! :)

Though long distance sight unseen diagnoses are not worth much, I have a slightly different take:

Pistols like this are not designed to have the slide close on a hand-chambered round; that is to say, by having the extractor snap over the rim of an already chambered round. Rather, they are designed to have the rim slide up under the extractor as the slide goes into battery. Since your problem occurs on the first round, I have a suspicion that your extractor may be out of design dimension compounded by a weak slide travel into battery when you manually drop the slide (but overcome when the pistol cycles on its own from firing). Just a guess.

Back