1917 eddystone

Or not. I have been reminded that some milsurps were "sporterized" in England c. 1955. (Sam Cummings, of Interarms, owned a controlling interest in Cogswell & Harrison and they did a lot of work on guns that Interarms would import into the U.S. or sell worldwide.)

Guns that were extensively modiified or re-worked in England had to be proved in England and if the work was extensive enough that they were considered "new" guns, had to be marked as "Made in England". That does not look like a product of Cogswell & Harrison, but it might be interesting to check if it has any English company markings or proof marks.

The rifle is certainly a U.S. Model 1917, sold as surplus, and almost certainly sporterized here in the U.S., but I am posting this in the interests of completeness.

Jim

I have a Mossberg 42 MB. They were 22 caliber training rifles sent over there through the lend lease agreement. Before these guns were repatriated they were proofed and stamped accordingly so I am a little familiar with British proof marks. I will look more closely at this one.

I dont know much about US rifles but isnt the flaming bomb a dead giveaway for a service rifles??

Back