1911 Woes

I know that it's frustrating, but you're getting a good education on how and why a 1911 is a good basic weapon! First, determine if it's the ammo or the gun. Take the barrel out of the gun and drop EACH round you will shoot into the barrel. Each round should slide easily and fully into the chamber (the rim flush, or a hair below, the hood of the barrel). You can visually see if the barrel is clean or collecting lead. Not "Brain-Surgeon" work! Then start experimenting with magazines. You can buy kits that replace the magazine springs, and followers, at Brownell's, Wilson's, etc. Once you understand the 1911, you can turn most "lemons" into good reliable and accurate handguns. Be patient and good luck. One other tip. I've had my best luck with STANDARD, 16 lb., recoil springs and NO shok-buff's!

Nightcrawler, where are you in MI. If close to me (Southeast MI), I can meet you at a range and you can try my Baer, MecGar & ShootingStar mags in your CD to see if you have a gun problem or a mag problem. Would be happy to help.

Regards,
Frank

Nightcrawler-

First, go get some new mags. Wilson Combat or Metalform. Not McCormick, not MecGar; you must eliminate the magazine from the equation, and these two manufacturers are the only ones that are going to be 100% without question.

Next, replace the springs with Wolff springs. As many different ones as you are capable of replacing. Again, we're eliminating possible sub-standard springs from the list of possible problems, and Wolff makes about the best. And it's good insurance.

Also, buy a good shop manual for the 1911A1 pistol. 924-200-045 KUHNHAUSEN .45 AUTO MANUAL $24.95 from Brownells is a good one. A good manual will help if springs/mags arent the problem.

faiello5

I'd love to. But, Southeast Michigan is about is far from me as one can get and still be in Michigan. I live in the keeweenaw peninsula in Northern Michigan, just north of the end of the world. :D

Before you do anything else, try 230 gr. ball nose ammo. Your gun may not like the 220 gr. ammo (i.e., it's not hitting the feed ramp at the right place). This is a typical problem with some ammo--sometimes they chamber and sometimes they don't. I'd try a box of 230 gr. ball nose before I invested in gunsmithing, recoil springs or new mags. In my experience, most 1911 problems are ammo or mag related. Once you find what the gun likes your Daly should be pretty reliable.

Back