1911 unsupported case

So, it seems that in fitting a barrel one would to need to have some slight clearance between the breech face and the end of the barrel hood to ensure the locking lugs on the barrel are not unseated from contact with the locking recesses in the slide. Seems fairly obvious, if you think about it, but something that could be overlooked by an inexperienced person. By the way, I'm not working on a 1911, just trying to clarify a point. Thanks to all who replied to my post. L. O. G.

Last edited:
Thinking about this thread, I realized I had made an erroneous statement in my last post. Too long a barrel hood won't unseat the locking lugs , but will prevent them from engaging in the first place. It seems to me that there has to be a slight clearance between the back end of the barrel and the ledges in the slide, as well as the breech face and the end of the hood to allow the slide and barrel to lock together. It would need to be minimal, though, in order to prevent the locking surfaces from slamming together and peening the locking surfaces.

Back