1911 mags

LiquidTension

I'm getting a Pro Carry in a few weeks and was wondering what types of magazines you guys have had luck with. Are there any specific ones to avoid? I know to stay away from USA mags, but what about Mecgar, McCormick, Mitchell, and the various factory mags? I'd like to have some 8rd mags if they work but it's not required. Thanks!

My experience is...

If you plan on shooting ball ammo, you can get just about any mag to feed reliably. If you are using hollowpoints, I would go with factory or nice aftermarket.

I use mecgar 8rd with the plastic base plate. Never failed yet. Can agree with the wilson ones FBI HRT requested those specific mags for their pistols. Hope this helps.--DAROGUE1

I use the McCormick 8 round power mag in all my 1911's. They are not quite as expensive as the Wilson and are just as good.

I have had excellent luck with Wilson and McCormick 10 round magazines in Colt, Springfield and Kimber full-sized 1911A1s. I'd opt for the Wilsons -- the small incremental cost is probably worth it.

Another vote for the Wilson mags. They are the standard to beat. According to Bill Wilson the 7-round mags are more reliable than the 8-rounders. However, since he offers a guarantee on the functioning of all his mags, go with the 8-round if you want. But I agree with the other posters who said not to scrimp on mags for a carry gun --- a cheaper mag could get you killed.

So far I have had good luck with Chip McCormick (sp?) shooting star, 8 round mags, and for less then 10 bucks(www.cdnninvestments.com) they are a lot cheaper...make that less then half what Wilson's cost! I have heard great stuff about the Wilson's but for now the Shooting Stars are getting the job done.

I've had both my Kimbers and my recently acquired GSP 2000 fail to lock back on the last shot with 8 round Wilson mags. I've also had feed failures with 8 round Wilson mags. I've changed to using 7 round Wilson mags (actually, just replaced the spring and follower with 7-round Wilson parts) and now I have no problems. YMMV.

M1911

All pistols are different. Yours may like Wilsons or CMCs or who knows...It's a pretty good bet that if it won't feed with the mags it came with, you already have a problem...Most will run with Wilsons or CMCs...Use whatever you want for practice...when you're carryin' use the ones that ALWAYS work;)

Wilsons. I use the 7 rnd for my Ultra Carry & Compact, 8 rnd for the full size. No muss, no fuss. FWIW, the McCormicks that came with the guns have been fine, too. M2

As everyone seems to be getting at, you'll need to see what works best with your gun. My Kimber Ultra Carry gets cranky with anything other than a Wilson. That doesn't mean my Chip McCormick mag is bad, or that the factory mag is bad, just that they don't work very well with my gun.

Hello Liquidtension. I have a SS Pro Carry (most happy with it) and I have put perhaps 500-600 rds through it. I have experimented with GI 7-rd mags, Colt 7-round mags, and Chip McCormick "Shooting Star" 8-rd mags (I have also tried some Mecgar 7 rders but only a couple of magfuls). I have found the Shooting Star mags to be the most reliable of this bunch. Only yesterday, I picked up 3 of the Wilson-Rogers magazines to give them a try even though the Chip McCormicks seem to be satisfactory. Take care.

Wilson Mags....

I have the most faith in Wilson's latest 8 round mags. They run like a hose and lock back the slide on all my 1911's. In a recent conversation with Bill, he said that he now believes the newest 8 rounders to be as reliable as the 7 rounders. Small changes in the feed lips let the round ride higher and release under better 'control' than the previous models.

All I know, is they run great in my guns.

I'll have to cast my vote for Metalform--they make the Colt factory magazines for some models including the CCO. They are great mags and less expensive than the Wilson's (which are also great mags). You can buy them directly from Metal via the internet (metalformmagazines.com, I believe, but you might want to run a search for them).

I've been shooting 1911 .45s of one make or another since around 1975 and I've tried just about every different type of magazine out there.

Some will work okay with a little tinkering and tweaking, some will NEVER work right, and some are best thrown in the garbage and forgotten forever.

The ONLY magazines I will use anymore are the Wilson mags. I'm not a big fan of Bill Wilson's guns at all, but I have to give credit where it's due, his gun parts are good and his mags are EXCELLENT.

Buy Wilson mags.

They're expensive, but when you consider that 90 percent of all FTFs in a 1911 are magazine related, don't you want the best there is?

Back