1911 magazine feed lips.

"The first two jugs burst from the hydraulic pressure. I was drenched with water from the bursting jugs. That ended my experiment."

Maybe you should stick to dry firing.

Being as how the feed lips do not contact either the FMJ or wadcutter bullet, what difference can it make??

I think, if memory serves me, the "wadcutter feed lips" allow the cartridge to be released from the magazine sooner, and the cartridge has a more straight feed into the chamber.

The M1911A1 I mentioned earlier requires the special feed lips to prevent failures to feed with semi wadcutter bullets. It will choke up almost every time with hardball feed lips. I'm sure someone will say the pistol is set up wrong, but it's 100% reliable with the right magazines, so I'm not changing a thing. Besides, magazines are cheaper than sending it off to a Pistolsmith. :p

I've had a lot of 1911A1 pattern guns over the years, some actual GI guns, some Colt, some made by other people. I've let all of them go, save one, that will never go, it belonged to my Dad. Its a Colt Govt Model, that sometime in the late 60s was set up for target work. Micro adjustable sights and a truly sweet trigger. That gun, using stock GI pattern mags feeds everything I've put in it. Ball, short nose swc, long nose swc, and JHPs, even the old Speer 200gr "Flying ashtray".

In my hands, from a rested position, it puts 5 shots in one ragged hole of about 2-2.5" size. A better shooter could probably better that.

Whoever set that gun up, did it right!

The wad cutters were developed with hollow points in mind. They help. The hybrids are supposed to work well with both FMJ and hollow points. IIRC, member 1911Tuner had some input in the design with Checkmate

The "Hybrid" feed lip design is Colt's. It came from the die and anvil that AMU armorers used to create a timed release point in the standard "Hardball" magazine lips to enable use with the H&G #68 bullet. Colt just took a page from them and started to specify the modification for their vendors because it also worked well with hollowpoints. I am, however, responsible for them offering the Wolff 11-pound spring in their 7-round magazines as an option.

I collaborated with Check Mate on the development of their bullnose follower and provided them with the dimensions for a gauge to check and set the final release on their full tapered GI reproduction magazines.

Last edited:
I think, if memory serves me, the "wadcutter feed lips" allow the cartridge to be released from the magazine sooner, and the cartridge has a more straight feed into the chamber.

The waductter design holds the rear of the cartridge down as the round feeds forward, rather than allowing it to rise and straighten as with G.I. and hybrid designs; it might release sooner, but the rim is lower in the mag, and the cartridge angle more acute until it is released.
It might be a better design for very short, oddly shaped bullets, but most modern .45 bullets have essentially a hardball profile, even if they're flat- or hollow-point.

The "Hybrid" feed lip design is Colt's. It came from the die and anvil that AMU armorers used to create a timed release point in the standard "Hardball" magazine lips to enable use with the H&G #68 bullet. Colt just took a page from them and started to specify the modification for their vendors because it also worked well with hollowpoints. I am, however, responsible for them offering the Wolff 11-pound spring in their 7-round magazines as an option.

I collaborated with Check Mate on the development of their bullnose follower and provided them with the dimensions for a gauge to check and set the final release on their full tapered GI reproduction magazines.
Thanks for setting the record straight. And thanks for your contributions to more reliable mags. :)

Back