1911 IWB carry "cocked & locked"

I just bought a Galco last night. It is a leather hip holster with a thumb break. The thumb break will not snap closed unless the pistol is cocked and locked and it does seperate the hammer from the firing pin. Sorry, I missed the IWB part.

[This message has been edited by ATTICUS (edited December 10, 1999).]

Shmacky: Cylinder and Slide makes a conversion kit for the 1911 that allows you to carry the gun in condition two with the thumb safety on. When you push down on the thumb safety, the hammer cocks and you are ready to shoot. I haven't spoken to anyone who has used it, but Cylinder and Slide know their stuff. Good Luck
www.cylinder-slide.com

------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will. -- Mahatma Gandhi

As an FYI - Bianchi offers an IWB holster with a thumb strap. www.bianchiinternational.com

I've used one for years with the 1911 and have found it satisfactory. Mostly I leave the thumb strap unsnapped except when I'm engaged in physical activity (such as climbing through heavy brush on steep hill sides) where I'm concerned about loss. I don't consider this holster to be a great concealment rig, and have used it largely because it keeps the gun out of the way and comfortably carried. For that purpose I suppose a good pancake holster would do just as well, but I've been satisified enough with the Pistol Pocket that I haven't been motivated to change.

------------------
Jim Fox

I want to ring in here too, just because...I carry every day IWB without a thumbstrap, cocked and locked, and personally, I'm as comfortable as can be. Use the pistol as designed for ultimate satisfaction ie., carry cocked and locked.

"Those who cannot understand safe design nor fine trigger mechanics need not consider the 1911, for them, the Glock is a fine weapon, since it has neither!"---by Me.

Hate to "carry and tell", but C & L in a Galco Royal Guard; shoot IPSC with it too (under my sweater of course, work clothes are white shirt and tie).

Two mags/one 079......four mags for matches/two 079's.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

PS to Me: you need to try a better Glock. My M20's trigger is awesome (not nearly as good as my Caspian, but unbelievably good).

Of course, it is NOT stock (no failures yet of titanium parts).

There is no way that "crunch-crunch" can feel good to me.

[This message has been edited by Frontsight! (edited December 17, 1999).]

just my close call with carrying a Commander with the hammer down on a live round. I never had another accident in the 30 years I have been carrying. What happened is I had my loaded Commander ( pre-70 series with no firing pin safety like the new 80 series) in a shoulder holster. I was seated in my car and opened the door and bent down to check the rear tire. As I did this the Commander slide out of the holster (and this all seemed to happen it slow motion) and landed on the concrete on the hammer with the barrel pointed at my head.While it seemed like slow motion it actually happened too fast to do anything about. When I checked the shell that was in the chamber it had an indentation from the firing pin. It was only slightly less indented than a full impact. If it was another brand of ammo with a more sensitive primer I would not be on the weg now. I really clearly looking down that barrel when it happened. This might be a good topic to post and I will post a new one on the subject of close calls in the hope we can prevent accidents. Look for it above as I will tell a even more amazing true freak accident story.

HAHAHA! DITTO Frontsight! I agree whole heartedly! :)

------------------
"To die as a warrior means to have crossed swords and either won or lost without any consideration for winning or loosing. There is just not enough time and generally not enough strength in the resolve of any man to do otherwise"-Miyamoto Musashi

You say you are worried about the safety becoming disengaged while holstering or unholstering. I have carried a 1911 C&L in a Rosen ARG for the last 5 years, and have never had a problem. When holstering, my thumb is UNDER the safety, holding in the engaged position. When drawing, my thumb is atop the safety, ready to come down. The safety won't disengage by itself; it will only do so if one loses concentration and thumbs down too early. Even so, if the finger stays off the trigger until one is ready to fire, there will still be no problem. I suggest more practice with the 1911, or else switch to a different gun.
The most unsafe thing about decocking is the chance of the hammer slipping. It doesn't matter how careful you may be; do it enough times, and eventually, that hammer will get away from you. KaPOW!
I have a Blade-Tech IWB which came with the tab to cover the safety. I wore the thing one day, then got out the ol' Dremel and whacked that tab off. Much more comfortable to wear now. Maybe if you're as skinny as a beanpole, that tab won't gouge into your side. My "spare tire" is nearly non-existent, but even so, that tab seemed like a literal "thorn in my side."

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

Alright you guys, I resent that you don't believe me.

I spent a ton of time and money on my POS Glock to eliminate that funny Glock noise and feel. (Yes, it went crunch/click/doink. Aargh!)

Soooo.......I got a 3.5lb trigger set, LightningStrike titanium striker, and some time. Then I mixed them all together (with some magic crocus) and VOILA! Final pull weight is around 2.5/3lb, take-up feels smoother, and when you break the trigger it goes "click", like a fine-tuned 1911. Really. (My 1911 Caspian trigger goes a perfect 2lb; a perfect trigger. Cooper would be proud.)

Every Glock owner who's dry-fired my gun (M20) has either offered to buy it or pay me to make theirs' the same.

Come shoot with us in Vermont (GMPS); I'll bring the Glock, you bring your doubting *sses. LOL!

------------------

[This message has been edited by WESHOOT2 (edited December 17, 1999).]

Actually, WeShoot2, I'm not sure if the Col. would be proud or not. 2 lbs is quite light for a "defensive" trigger.Th efollowing is taken from "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth" ala Col. Jeff Cooper. The chapter is titled, "Triggers, Trigger control, and other Esoterica." "Trigger weight...may vary from a few ounces to as much as ten pounds, but two pounds can be dangerous and five pounds can be awkward. Two-and-a-half to three-and-a-half-clean-is a good spread, but I would prefer five pounds to two pounds creepy." Back to me--There's no way from what I've seen of te Glock, that you can have NO creep at all. If that's true, I certainly hope you don't carry with one in the chamber, since you've whittled one of the things Glock calls a "safety" to nothing. That's downright scary! John Browning understood that in order to carry a round in the chamber and also have a crisp light trigger, there had to be real mechanical safeties to make sure that someone didn't shoot his foot while holstering.

------------------
"Those who cannot understand safe design nor fine trigger mechanics need not consider the 1911, for them, the Glock is a fine weapon, since it has neither!"---by Me.

No, all the creep is still there, and the two-mile take-up.

I'm familiar with the Col.s' writing, and I still think he'd like the trigger (without question, he'd complain about my 1911).

You should feel the triggers on my EAA's.........LOL

------------------

Used C&L for a few years but had to give it up. I thought of hammer down on live round but didn't take long to dump that idea. I practiced with a unloaded gun "of course" at a mirror with a bean bag between me and the mirror. I forget the exact # but ever so often over the course of a few nights the gun would fly out of my hands and land on the bean bag as I tried to draw from under coverning garment, thumb cock hammer, aim at reflection, and give verbal challange. "NOT GOOD!" Add to that lowering hammer "as if " on a "Loaded" round. I knew there was no rounds in the gun but that hammer felt rather slippery anyway.
I would agree C & L or chamber empty. I carried chamber empty safety off for a while and NEVER had the hammer fall. Think about it both the grip safety and the trigger have to be depressed at the same time.
After all this I have to admit for the last "almost" 5 yrs I have carried a double action or DAO. But if I ever feel the threat level riseing my Springfield has been to the range at least 7X a year...
It is pure lazyness that I don't use it every day.

Back