1911 in .357 Sig

Shane...

As mentioned Sig made their 1911 in 357 Sig (Nightmare and Emperor Scorpion) both full size and commander. I had the Nightmare in Commander size, it ran 100% with everything I put in it, factory or reloads. There are two on Gunbroker as I type this, they are not a cheap gun...wish I still had mine, but something "shinier" crossed my path.

Why a 1911 in 357Sig...show me a semi-auto platform that has the ability to have a trigger pull as light and crisp as a 1911...I'll wait.

show me a semi-auto platform that has the ability to have a trigger pull as light and crisp as a 1911...I'll wait.

There are several semi autos that have the potential, but they don't come from the factory set up for light crisp pulls. On the other hand, there are a lot of 1911 pattern guns that didn't/don't come from the factory with light crisp pulls, either....

44 AMP, for all intents and purposes, you're right. My question is, why not?

I had high hopes for the loading when it came out. The bottleneck case should feed well, and I always wondered if it might have made a good submachine gun round out of an 8-10" barrel.

SIG were the only ones to try making a 1911 for it at first. Problem was, the first run of GSR's were plagued with other production and quality issues, so I never heard much feedback on the combination of gun and loading.

The bottleneck case should feed well, and I always wondered if it might have made a good submachine gun round out of an 8-10" barrel.

It probably would, and I can see no mechanical reason why a properly designed SMG (locked breech, delayed or even straight blowback) in .357 Sig wouldn'
t work, but I don't see any practical reason to make one, considering the existing guns that already fill that tactical niche.

And what I mean by that is, would the SMG in .357 Sig offer any performance increase (effectiveness or cost) over existing 9mm, .30 Tokarev, or other usual SMG rounds or any improvment over the chopped SMG size assault rifles in 5.56mm or 7.62x39mm?

As a technology demonstrator, I can see it. As an SMG anyone would actually buy and field, I don't think it would go anywhere.

Back