1911 grip and safety release

Osageshooter

I have been doing quite a bit of training lately, mostly with my Sigs. I have seen the benefit of a secure, consistent grip. I am starting to shoot my 1911 a little more and have a question of the 1911 experts. When you draw and release the safety, do you keep your thumb on the safety or let it slide below it when executing a two hand grip? If you leave the thumb on the safety is there a tendancy to have the hand set back enough not to engage the grip safety?

I greatly prefer the thumb on top method (helps with recoil management too).

I don't have any problems with the grip safety, and I don't have huge hands. 1911s are thin!

That's a semi-common issue. The "memory-bump" aftermarket grip safeties pretty much eliminate the problem for most people. My 1911 is cut for an earlier Clark grip safety, so I altered it slightly to release with very little pressure, and that worked for me.

I shoot thumb-high, which gives really good recoil control in my opinion.

I use thumb just under the safety to re-engage quickly if needed. I have a 3 lb'trigger pull. Draw come on to target safety off fire re-engage safety acquire new target safety off fire re-engage safety.

I normally shoot with my thumb on the safety, helps with recoil. Think of the grip safety as being engage more by the meat of your hand between your first finger and thumb rather than the web of that same part of your hand. It IS being engaged by the web, but if you think of it as the meatier part it should help you grip the gun in a way so that the safety is engaged.

... When you draw and release the safety, do you keep your thumb on the safety or let it slide below it when executing a two hand grip? If you leave the thumb on the safety is there a tendancy to have the hand set back enough not to engage the grip safety?

For years I shot with thumb on safety, and that's a proper way to shoot. For some people with small hands, the grip safety doesn't get operated as much, but was still adequate for me, especially with a grip safety like the Ed Brown with it's little "bump" that enhances proper operation of the grip safety.

Farnum teaches thumbs up for all pistols, and he recommended, during a class, releasing the safety and returning the thumb to the upright position. I began using that method and have never looked back. The safety is sandwhiched between two upright thumbs, but neither thumb is touching the safety. Thumb rash from safety--eliminated.:D

Thumb on safety for me...

... because, unlike an earlier poster, I've found I have no trouble re-engaging the safety.

In fact, I've found that I had to beat back a tendency to automatically engage the safety after a double-tap (thanks, USMC gunny instructor...). It's easier to keep that habit subdued if my thumb is not under the safety in the first place.

(Ok, not really the gunny's fault. It was just standard range practice to fire two, then engage the safety. Ok for that drill, not so ok if in an actual SD scenario.)

My DW has a nice beavertail on it, which helps with achieving a standard, high grip; engaging the grip safety; and distributing surface area over the hand for better recoil control. Can't say if it helps with slide bite, because I never got bitten by the old GI issue pistols.

Thumb on safety also helps with high grip and recoil control.

Cheers,

M

Each of us seems to be slightly different. Even with the memory bump when I use the thumb on the safety the gun fails to fire about a third of the time. I carry a 1911 on my CWP so to have 100% relialibity my grip is below the safety. I know that this is heresy, and I'll catch a lot of flack, but it will be mostly from the gamesmen. I think that the gun must fire each and every time, so it's not for me. If it works for you great, go for it. Best, Lyle

If you can't shoot faster than the other guy; shoot straighter. Chic Gaylord

The sense in thumb above safety

How many times will you need to quickly engage a safety?

OTOH, if you need to disengage a safety, how many times do you suppose you'll want to have to think about doing so?

Advantages to thumb over safety:

1) Thumb is automatically positioned to disengage the safety.

2) Facilitates high grip.

3) (As noted earlier) Requires conscious decision to re-engage safety, as opposed to facilitating habit of always re-engaging, during times when re-engaging safety would be a bad thing.

4) (As noted earlier) Can help some people with recoil control.

Now, if your hand isn't shaped to accommodate this grip position well, that's a different matter. But there's plenty of sense in the grip position, if you can comfortably employ it.

Cheers,

M

Thumb on safety...

I have always shot with my thumb on the safety. It worked well for me in controlling recoil and just felt more comfortable and natural. One thing that you have to learn to do, however, is not to let your thumb touch the slide. If you do and you create enough drag on the slide you can have a misfed using this hold. On a couple of my early competion 1911's I placed a sheild on the weapon. It rode up over the slide and prevented the thumb from getting close enough to drag the slide.

I have been talking to folks whether they ever "bumped" on a M1911 safety. I have, and I have seen people do it on my Les Baer Wadcutter. One guy told me of a similiar experience, that is with extended safeties he bumped up a M1911 thumb safety. He also had the extended safety bump off when he thought it was safe.

On the original thumb cocking M1911, the pistol was held high in the hand. Modern designs with beavertails and high hold beavertails put that safety close to your thumb, increasing the chance of bumping it up if wrestling with the gun, or just due to hand position.

I think if you are going to rely on a M1911 as a self defense pistol you better teach yourself to ride the safety.

I have lost my confidence in the M1911 because the safety bumped off with a under the pants carry, then to have the thing bump "on" at the range.

That external safety is just another thing to go wrong.

I operate mine with the thumb under the safety. Like someone already said I can flip the safety on faster because I removed a step to do it.

I've never accidentally bumped it. However, I have accidently bumped the slide stop on my XD. I've since learned to curl my right hand thumb down toward the trigger so that won't happen. It's comfortable and I don't give the thumb any thought while firing it.

I operate mine with the thumb under the safety. Like someone already said I can flip the safety on faster because I removed a step to do it.

If you shoot with a thumb down stronghand grip, as some do, then it will work fine.

On the other hand, simply placing the thumb under the safety is asking to engage the safety and lock the slide while shooting. That was my original grip with my first 1911, and bumping the safety to on was a common occurrence.

As for "flipping the safety on faster" because "I removed a step to do it"--- engaging the safety can be as fast as anyone ever needed to do it from any thumb position--including those that don't result in locking the slide back in the middle of shooting. :cool:

Tony Pasley, your in a gunfight and you engage the safety while moving your gun to a different target? You may as well have a SA sixgun with all that thumb activity

Draw come on to target safety off fire re-engage safety acquire new target safety off fire re-engage safety.

I'm not opposed to individual ways of doing things where many aspects of training are concerned, but the proper fighting techniques for the 1911 have been LONG SINCE established by those MOST qualified to teach, and doesn't include re-engaging the safety after the first target, only to dis-engage immediately for the next.

In the time it takes you to safety off,on,and back off, an experienced shooter has shot the second target and is, working on the third.:cool:

While I disagree with those who'd release the safety as soon as the grip is acquired while the gun is still in the holster, the safety must be disengaged soon enough so the gun can fire the instant it's on target.

I don't think all the extra "safety on, off, on" makes up for the 3lb. trigger pull which isn't really safe on a street gun that would be used under great stress.

Just my thoughts on the matter.:cool:

Back