1911 feed reliability: What do I have to do?

Pilate,

If you ever take it apart again, bend a little "kink" in the middle of the spring. It will still work fine at each end with both plungers but it won't shoot out during disassembly.

Mikey

Have seen four 1911's new colts 2 80 and 2 70 series that needed polishing to feed reliably 3 differnet brands of mags all worked as did the different brands of ammo. ya gotta polish, if you want good reference buy Jerry Khunhausen 1911 shop manual.

What is it about this gun and all the money it soaks up to get it reliable? Why not just buy glock sig or Hk?

What other gun is designed to be carried "COCKED AND LOCKED" doesnt this sound sexy? Especially without the hammer block plunger assembly. Most LEO's can't even carry them "too dangerous". As Terry Tussey told me at last Great Western "the 1911 has a very bad habit of doing exactly what it was designed to do"

Seven Krauts with Seven Shots! WWII Audie Murphy? They all fall to 45 hard ball.

S'funny, darn near every one of the GMs I've owned over the last 30 years has worked fine with little/no work.Replacing bad mags has been the biggest problem. Nobody throws out a bad mag, they just resell it. Some needed tweaking for accuracy, but all were reliable except....

I owned a Colt Officer's Model, briefly. After some serious gunsmith bills w/o imporving relaibility, I decided I didn't need to own that one after all. 20-20 hindsight, once one gets down below Commander size, problems multiply.

Current pet will feed and chamber an empty, sized case.Colt made it in 1943, it has Brit proof marks, was rebuilt by Alton Dinan and used at Camp Perry by the previous owner. I got it from the estate.

T'were I in need of another GM, I believe I'd pick up a GI clunker and start replacing parts. The new stuff all seems to have QC glitches big time...

Why is it that all the smaller guns ie Officers and smaller have problems not seen with the Govt or Commander? I've heard it has something to do with the timing of the slide and a couple of other variables but no one has explained it to my satifactory, which is to say it ain't penetrated the crainum. Any thoughts?

Gator

------------------
Root Hog or Die Poor

First mistake: Not buying GI 1911A1 or a commercial Colt Gummint Model (Not 1991A1!) :D

Most gunsmiths say the shorties are finicky, stick with the 5" barrel.

Buy good magazines, GI or Colt have served me well. Others recommend Wilson, Brown, or Shooting Star, mostly. Crush any magazine that doesn't feed properly. That way you'll never be tempted to put it in a gun again.

Most recent 1911 clones are built way too tight for reliability. You know what you pay a gunsmith to do to guns that don't rattle to make them reliable? You pay them to, in effect, loosen 'em up! Du-uh, maybe John Moses warn't so dumb! :)

------------------
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel!

Back