1911 EMP® 4” Concealed Carry Contour 9mm

Lets bring the thread back from the dead

As I purchased a new EMP4 CCC about half year ago after trying a rental gun out at a local range, I have found it to be an outstanding semi-auto pistol. I initially did a couple of extremely thorough cleanings; it has been my experience from over the years inspecting so-called problem guns of many different manufacture that others have shown me, that an initial thorough cleaning getting rid of any assembly lubes, dust from the shop, etc, is well worth the little time and effort, as well as provides a new owner with a good understanding of the internals.

The EMP4 CCC is extremely reliable with everything that is fed to it, extremely accurate, and perhaps best of all, has extremely light recoil, making it a very comfortable range pistol, which is appreciated by some old geezers such as myself as we start to feel the symptoms of arthritis. In case anyone is interested, the ammo I have found to be the most accurate, of the brands I have tried, is Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr Felx Loc. As I still do an anual qual which includes 3, 15, and 25 yards, the Critical Duty ammo prints right to point of aim at all distances, very flat shooting.

The workmanship on it appears to be among the best I have seen. All in all, an all around great pistol.

Springfield Armory's EMP 3 9MM is an excellent handgun. It's flawless in operation and 100% reliable (as close to 100% as any mechanical device can get). It's phenomenally accurate. It's extremely easy to conceal and carry.

If the EMP 4 variant is anything like the most excellent EMP 3, buy it. First check out the EMP 3.

The EMP 3 is not a shortened 1911-A1. It was originated and designed to be a compact 1911-A1 style 9MM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noA6GnDR7-8

SATRP said:
The EMP 3 is not a shortened 1911-A1. It was originated and designed to be a compact 1911-A1 style 9MM:
Actually, it was originally supposed to be in .45 GAP. The original EMP prototype that all the magazines reviewed was in .45 GAP. For whatever reason, though, Springfield never brought the .45 GAP version to market. They made and circulated (as far as I know) just the one prototype in .45 GAP, then the EMP disappeared for awhile. When it finally came out, it was in 9mm and .40 S&W only.

It IS indeed a shortened 1911. When the EMP first came out, Springfield's advertising listed the various parts they had shortened to make them work in the EMP.

Can't tell you how long I've wanted a Contour carry because they feel so good in the hand. With that said it's kinda hard to find people that have one and shoot it enough to give a good review which would be kinda nice with the price tag around a grand. Also something I've been working on is longer shots with my sig P239 and with a good rest 50 yds are very doable and with the EMP 4 that may be a lot easier .

If you pick one up, let us know how you like it. Been eying one for a while myself, they feel great in the hand

Can't tell you how long I've wanted a Contour carry because they feel so good in the hand. With that said it's kinda hard to find people that have one and shoot it enough to give a good review which would be kinda nice with the price tag around a grand. Also something I've been working on is longer shots with my sig P239 and with a good rest 50 yds are very doable and with the EMP 4 that may be a lot easier .
Buckey, That P239 is an extremely nice, well made pistol, had one a few years back and liked it. As you suspect, you will find the longer range shots definitely easier with the EMP4 CCC, probably most atributable to the much nicer trigger pull, among other things. I was very lucky to happen to try out a new upscale local range that recently opened that had the EMP4 CCC as one of their rental guns, so made the decision a lot easier for me.

Last edited:
Springfield Armory's EMP 3 9MM is an excellent handgun. It's flawless in operation and 100% reliable (as close to 100% as any mechanical device can get). It's phenomenally accurate. It's extremely easy to conceal and carry.

If the EMP 4 variant is anything like the most excellent EMP 3, buy it. First check out the EMP 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noA6GnDR7-8
After having an opportunity to use the EMP4 CCC, and hearing so many good things about the EMP3, I am tempted to look at the EMP3 now as a possible replacement for my S&W Shield.

I am very happy with my CCC 4-inch, and also like my 3-inch EMP. But there is no doubt that I shoot the 4-inch better. It is a little steadier in my hand, and the extra one inch of sight radius is a help.

But nobody has mentioned the other alternative. SA makes a second EMP with a 4-inch barrel, which does not have the "round-butt" contour of the CCC.

I like the round-butt version; my buddy with the monster hands is fixing to get the regular, squared off version. For him, the aft curve on the grip is just not-right.

And only you can tell which version is for you.

Bart Noir

Back