1911 EDC one year later

I carry a full size 1911 cocked and locked. My IWB holster covers the safety so it would be very hard knock the safety off.

My first CC pistol was a gov't model 1911. I carried it IWB in a Theis holster for a few years. IMHO, the 1911 presents a nice, slim profile with a lot of rounded edges, which is good for carry. It's heavy, though. That was really the deciding factor that made me switch. If you don't mind the weight, a 1911 makes a great carry pistol. Personally, I've always liked the idea of a polymer 1911, but it does not seem to be an idea that has caught on, nor have I ever seen where someone has really put one through its paces to test reliability.

(Are you listening, Rock River? Just send me a Poly 1911 and I'll gladly wring it out and write it up!)

I don't have one but if you *almost* like 1911's for carry let me suggest you try a lightweight commander. Lighter and smaller and thus easier carry.;)

IMO an even better metal carry pistol is a Browning HP. I Do have one of these that's been thru the C&S shop. Thinner than a 1911 with more capacity. I bought one for carry but have since reconsidered since I like it so much and the replacement cost is more than I can afford these days. An even nicer option is the lightweight short slide version but then even more costly(and rare) these days.:rolleyes:

These days I'm relegated to carrying tupperware pistols.:(

Last edited:
I don't have one but if you *almost* like 1911's for carry let me suggest you try a lightweight commander. Lighter and smaller and thus easier carry.;)

IMO an even better metal carry pistol is a Browning HP. I Do have one of these that's been thru the C&S shop. Thinner than a 1911 with more capacity. I bought one for carry but have since reconsidered since I like it so much and the replacement cost is more than I can afford these days. An even nicer option is the lightweight short slide version but then even more costly(and rare) these days.:rolleyes:

These days I'm relegated to carrying tupperware pistols.:(
Believe me, I would LOVE to have a lightweight commander. And a BHP. Unfortunately, my budget will now allow either without selling something (or a couple of somethings).

I carried one model of Colt 1911 (Government, Commander, Officer's ACP) or other from April of 1974 until about the year 2000 when the arthritis in my shooting hand thumb made it impossible to shoot/practice with that design.

In the '70s and '80s I often carried a Commander stuck down in my waist band butt forward (they used to call that Border Carry). I never worried about my weapons being cocked-n-locked. I never swiped, bumped or otherwise disengaged the thumb safety.

In the '90s I got a Wilson KZ-45 Commander. It was a polymer framed 1911 with a 9 round magazine. Loved that gun and carried it to about 2000 or so.

If my hands weren't swollen with arthritis I'd probably still carry some form of 1911, probably that KZ-45, and it would be cocked-n-locked.

Dave

Back