1911 disadvantage??

You ain't gonna shoot like Rob

Lethan just because you are shooting a 1911 too. I know. I tried. And it didn't work. Ha Ha. Rob Letham is still just a little bit better than me.

There was an actual study on the benefits of high capacity for competition.
The results were surprising, in so far as rarely did it matter all that much.
Most of the stages and courses of fire don't give the high capacity guns all that much advantage.
Until the gun's capacity exceeds fourteen rounds, the scoring results are about the same.
The real high capacity guns, the ones that hold twenty something, does make life easier, but only if the competitor can run fast, and shoot very fast and very accurate.
Otherwise, a little practice time in mag changes is what's needed, rather than a new gun.

cyarnell if your just starting out in comp shooting I'd say go for the 1911 and if it does become serious and you want to move to category 1 like leadcounsel said then consider another gun.

You may end up with two guns that way but then you end up with a self defense gun and a competition gun rather than just a competition gun.

Well, for IPSC I would look at something different. 1911's arent allowed in production class (which is where you want to be when first starting this type of shooting).

The 1911's that I see at all the matches tend to not run well. Some say its the magazines, some say its the reloads, but who cares! A jam is a jam!!

In production, you only have to meet minimum power factor. That translates into medium power 9mm or fairly low power .40. Glocks, XD's and CZ tend to dominate this class.

1911's tend to dominate the limited and open divisions. For competition, if you want to go with a 1911, I would look for one that is chambered in .40. Ammo will be cheaper, and you can make major power factor fairly easily. 9mm for major pwer factor is hard to do. Factory ammo wont make it, so reloading is your only option.

To sum it up: 9mm for production, 40 for limited/open. 1911 guns will not be allowed in production.

-George

USPSA has an approved handgun list for production. Only the guns on the list are allowed, and only allowed if they are within 2 ounces of the weight declared from the factory.

USPSA did not allow 1911's because of the potential advantage the single action only trigger may provide. If you want to shoot a 1911 competitively (and have competitive equipment) in USPSA, try these divisions:

It's the list that gets them in USPSA and weight in IDPA before that I used a Para LDA LTD in SSP for a bit. Double action but what a goofy reset...

Back