1911 disadvantage??

cyarnell

looking to purchase a 45cal in the near future and seriously looking to start IDPA USPSA type competition. My question is this, considering that most (if not all) 1911 model pistols are 7-8rds is that a "distinct" disadvantage in pistol competitions. Considering that california (where i live) has a 10rd mag limit anyhow i was thinking it couldn't be that big of a disadvantage.

I am new to competition shooting - but in my experience the answer is that it would depend. Are you shooting to compete with others or compete with yourself and get better with your self defense weapon.

There are 2 classes of shooters.
1. Those that compete for the highest score, and spend loads of time and money on impractical 'race' guns and 'race rigs' setups; taming down their handloads, light triggers, etc.

2. My personal philosophy - I use the standard guns that I use for home/self defense. Great practical and inexpensive training under stress.

If you fall into category 1, then the 1911 may be wrong for you. Additionaly the 1911 is, as you know, expensive to feed. If you are in category 2, then it may be the perfect gun.

In IDPA, most of the 1911's are single stack 45's and nearly everyone runs Wilson 47D's as they are the most reliable magazine by far. They beat out some of the factory mags I have used in the past. I'd say the playing field is level in that respect but you operate to a slight disadvantage to the SSP guys with 10+1.

In USPSA, your only competitive option with a single stack 1911 is getting 10 round mags that stick out and shooting Limited 10. If you shoot Limited against the guys with the 140mm STI mags and 20+ rounds of 40, theres no way you can even score fast enough to stay competitive.

Like everything else dealing with Guns and Shooting,

IT DEPENDS

I shoot 1911s (Colt series 70 Gold Cup) much better then any other semi I've tried. In my case its an ADVANTAGE, if you can shoot one of those hi cap guns, then I guess maybe its a disavantage.

The competition is set up in Divisions oriented to different guns, so there is no disadvantage. You and your .45 are not competing - well, not officially - with higher capacity or lower recoiling guns.

A 1911 .45 is a natural for IDPA CDP where EVERYBODY is shooting a .45 with no more than 8 in the magazine; mostly but not entirely 1911s.
USPSA Single Stack requires a 1911 and limits magazine capacity to 8 at Major Power Factor.

dukeofurl is misinformed. Yes, you can compete in the USPSA Limited-10 division with a 1911. However, there is a Single Stack division, which is only for 1911's. You can check it out at www.USPSA.org .

nearly everyone runs Wilson 47D's as they are the most reliable magazine by far.

I don't think even 25% the guys I know shooting .45s in IDPA and USPSA are using Wilson mags. Wilson, Chip McCormick and Tripp are fairly equally represented, and the rest is a mix of Mec-Gar, Metalform, Check-Mate and "factory" mags.
A .45 with 8-round mags is perfect for Single Stack and CDP, and as noted, with some 10-round mags you're good for Limited 10.

Well I guess I can weigh in also. I shoot quite a bit USPSA with a 1911 .45. Shooting Single Stack, Production or Limited 10 there is no particular handicap. You will need to buy 10 round mags if you want to stay with the field in Limited 10. I think you will find that most stages can be broken up in 8 round stations if you run the stage correctly.

just don't equate your speed on targets with the Limited and Open shooters. They burn through ammo and reload less so they run faster. The whole point behind Divisions.

You can get ten round magazines from them. It might stick out a little, but it will have the extra 2 rounds.

For IDPA the gun MUST "fit in the box". The 10 round magazine is a mute point for IDPA in the CDP division which is where the 1911 will be placed. The CDP division is limited to 8+1 rounds regardless of type of 45acp it is.
8 round magazine and 1 in the chamber
You could get a SA XD 45acp or other similar type pistol and shoot in the ESP division and load to division capacity of 10 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the chamber
If you were to choose to shoot in the CDP division with your XD you would be limited to the 8+1 round capacity.

nearly everyone runs Wilson 47D's as they are the most reliable magazine by far. They beat out some of the factory mags I have used in the past.

I strongly disagree that Wilson mags are the most reliable. You need to check out Tripp Research my friend.

Ummm..... because?

...... because 1911's are "born" as opposed to "produced"?

USPSA has an approved handgun list for production. Only the guns on the list are allowed, and only allowed if they are within 2 ounces of the weight declared from the factory.

USPSA did not allow 1911's because of the potential advantage the single action only trigger may provide. If you want to shoot a 1911 competitively (and have competitive equipment) in USPSA, try these divisions:

Single stack (1911's ONLY. Limited to 8+1 rounds if shooting major power factor)
Limited 10- (Same rules as Limited division- except limited to 10 rounds)

"Single action only" handguns being "unfair"?

“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.”
—Col. Jeff Coooper Guns & Ammo, January 2002

"Single action only" handguns being "unfair"?

“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.”
—Col. Jeff Coooper Guns & Ammo, January 2002

You don't have to agree with the rules. Just have to play by them :D

By your logic I should be able to bring an Open gun to a revolver only match and shoot alongside them and it be fair.

Back