1911 Condition 2 carry ..Good idea, bad idea, luke warm idea.

sore thumb...

Don't forget, if you have to draw, you're most likely going to be trying to cock the hammer under pressure. One little slip and that slide's going to slam into your thumb awfully fast. Too many possibilities for an AD in C2, while easing the hammer down on the firing pin when loading and slipping while cocking the hammer to fire. Carry in C1 or C3. Never C2. It's very safe.

I am not advising carrying in condition 2,I prefer Condition 1 (cocked and locked) with my second choice condition 3 (hammer down on empty chamber).However if you have a 1911 with the old style spur hammer instead of the Commander hammer so popular these days and provided your motor skills are good, it is viable carry option at least for some people.Since I am left handed I have had the ocasion to carry a 1911 without the benefit of a Ambi-safety installed at times.In this case I have carried in condition 2,but you have to know what you are doing and be very careful.In this case condition 3 is still a pretty good choice.But if I had to carry an old Military gun with a big spur hammer knowing I might need it fast,possibly with only one hand available to get it in action I would not hesitate to carry it in condition 2.But if you choose that carry mode you had better be good at cocking it safetly and fast with one hand. Unforunately being left handed can force some people to make choices at times that may seam unsafe to the majority.

As a reserve deputy I carry a cocked and locked .45

I do not think that the gun was designed to carry in condition 2 as the notch on the hammer is not near as deep or strong as the notch that the hammer rides in in condition 1.

I shoot matches with my .45 and am very comfortable with itas it comes into action very quickly. As a CCW instructor,if you must carry a .45 I recommend cocked and locked and practice ,practice,practice.

If you do not feel comfortable with carrying in the mode it was designed for ,then you need more practice.

Practice the draw,practice the carry, practice the draw.It must be an automatic action to become effective.It must be able to be done without hesitation or thought. When this is mastered, the cocked and locked .45 has NO rival in my opinion. Tests have proved that it is the quickest method that is employed by ANY gun. A man that has mastered the condition one carry will be tough to beat in a fight...if he has the proper mindset .

Back