1911 70 series poll

Of my 1911s, the following are 70 series...

• None

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Some

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Half

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Most

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • All

Votes: 33 38.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's 70 series mean?

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
highpower3006 said:
All 1911's made before the Series 70 guns are standard old 1911 and 1911A1's.
Unfortunately, this is also incorrect.

Strictly speaking, before every gunmaker, shoemaker, watchmaker, and self-styled "machinist" started churning out firearms they call "1911," there were NO "1911" or "1911A1" firearms. The military models were either M1911 or M1911A1, and the commercial models (made only by Colt) were called "Government Model." Then, more recently, Colt added the "Commander" to the line, and still later the "Combat Commander" and "Officers ACP."

I have a 'Series 80' that I purchased new in Oct '84. But it has the "four finger" collet type bushing like the '70's. I guess they had some parts left over :p

Anyway, it's been a great gun. I've put several tens of thousands of rounds through it.

Strictly speaking, before every gunmaker, shoemaker, watchmaker, and self-styled "machinist" started churning out firearms they call "1911," there were NO "1911" or "1911A1" firearms. The military models were either M1911 or M1911A1, and the commercial models (made only by Colt) were called "Government Model." Then, more recently, Colt added the "Commander" to the line, and still later the "Combat Commander" and 'Officers ACP."

Yes, the commercial guns are called Government Models et al. But their actual configuration is either the earlier 1911 style frame, which means they are a 1911, or in the case of a 1911 style pistol produced after 1924(ish) with the the frame cuts configured in the 'A1 style they are going to be a 1911A1. The name "Government Model" was given them to differentiate them from government contract guns, but they were in all respects the same as the guns the US was buying with the exception of the rollmarks on the slide and the inspectors stamp.

Since the main spring housing and trigger can be easily switched out, I don't consider them to be a defining feature, only the frame cuts make the models truly different. Saying that a commercial Government Model is somehow no longer a 1911 or 1911A1 because it has a different marketing name is picking at some serious nits.

Jim Watson said:
I think what Aquila is saying is that the Army designation is not "1911", it is "M1911."
In part, yes.

What I'm really saying is that I think the intent of the poll question is clear, and that several people have deliberately dragged this thread off into the weeds by arguing nomenclature.

I have one of the early Colt Combat Elites that Colt designated as a Series 80 Mark IV, BUT it is a transitional gun and has the collet bushing. Here it is with some wood grips I put on it:

rPTs9qg.jpg

NXfuVmd.jpg

I have a couple of other Colts with the firing pin block and no collet bushing. I only have one Colt Series 70, a 9mm Commander. However, I have a bucketful of non-Colt 1911s without a firing pin block. Some say they can't tell the difference---maybe that's because they have gotten a great trigger job. Me, I can tell the difference. Obviously, not enough to not buy one, but I prefer a gun without the FPS.

Well, yes. It aggravates me that "Series 70" has become a code for "lacking a firing pin block", as well as a whole host of other neologisms. But I will try to do better.

Years ago I developed an affection for the Series 70 guns. I have about a dozen of them. One of the below is a .38 Super and I would like to find a 9 mm flavor.

45%20Colt%20Series%2070%20Guns.png

As to the collets.

45%20ACP%20Bushings.png

I have replaced the collets in mine but have all the original collets. Simply so after I am dead the guns can be sold with their original collets. Several in the above image are NM Gold Cup guns and some just plain Series 70 guns.

I also agree with Jim Watson:
Well, yes. It aggravates me that "Series 70" has become a code for "lacking a firing pin block", as well as a whole host of other neologisms.

So yes, most of my M1911 guns are series 70 I have a few which are both pre and post series 70 Colt guns.

Ron

Was there any difference in accuracy after you put in the solid bushings?
and.....were they "fitted" to the barrel or dropped in?

N70xxx prefix most accurate of the 1970's Colt Gold Cups in 45 acp. Still have 1. Sold 1 each in 70 & 80 series. Forget the 80 Series for out of the box accuracy.

When I changed the bushings I just used out of the box. However I did label the removed bushings so I would know where each came from. As to any change in accuracy? Yes, a little but only on the Gold Cup NM guns.

Ron

One of the last ones made with the factory lightened slide.

Without weighing it, how can you visually distinguish between a "factory lightened" slide and a "standard" one? In 1974 I purchased a new "Mark IV Series 70 Gold Cup" (70N122xx) having the collet bushing and, after firing thousands of rounds with it in Bullseye (Precision Pistol) matches, this style bushing has never given me any problems.

There are recesses cut into the slide ahead of the locking lug cuts.
The breechblock area is cut away so the extractor is visible.

Well, I had to say none. Because currently I only have series 80's. I used the 70's back in the day for trade. One for a M29 Smith 44 magnaported with a 4" Barrel. The other (?)
One thing for sure and I don't know if it was due to the finger collets or what. The Series 70 just felt better.

Without weighing it, how can you visually distinguish between a "factory lightened" slide and a "standard" one? In 1974 I purchased a new "Mark IV Series 70 Gold Cup" (70N122xx) having the collet bushing and, after firing thousands of rounds with it in Bullseye (Precision Pistol) matches, this style bushing has never given me any problems.

You take the slide off and look at the underside. If you compare it with a standard 1911 slide the lightening cut is quite noticeable. Your GC with the serial number you listed should have the lightened slide also.

Thanks highpower3006 and Jim Watson for your responses. I removed the slide and looked closely but I can see no evidence of any cutaways when compared to my otherwise conventional 1911 pistols.

I guess I misunderstood the poll, probably. I had almost forgot about the collet bushing originally being in series 70 guns. I was thinking only of whether or not they had the series 80 safety block or not. None of my guns have the offending bushing, but only half of mine, or close to that, have the series 80 safety block.

I used to be a stanch opponent of the series 80 system in the old days when it first came out, but actually prefer it for a carry gun, now days.

PS: my Colt MK IV is accurate and shoots well with .45 FMJ, or 185 Silvertips or 185 Cor Bon. To me, it is smooth and easy to fire.

2 out of 6 have the hammer block, my 45 year old series 70 Gold Cup has the collet bushing, only problem with it is that after being shot for 45 years the trigger pull is now 2lbs. or less. :eek:
Still my most accurate 1911, just gotta be careful.;)

Back