1903 a3

03A3 Nat Ord

National Ordnance was made in el Monte CA in the 60's. They were made from GI parts on cast or some say rewld recievers. The only value is the parts and probably not worth repairing
Google tells the whole story

yes it does say national oridnace on the reciever. as far as shooting it i have shot it 2 or 3 times. i dont know a whole lot about it except my grandpa was in the korean war. he also has an m1 carbine from the 1944 year so i just figured he carried both the m1 and this one with him.

sorry i may not of clarified what i meant the reciever isnt broke just the stock is broke right behind the reciever.

JD 3020,
If its made by National Ordanance, Its not a collectors item, but If everything is OK but the stock, I would replace the stock and keep it.
It should be fine for a shooter. Sorry. It fooled me too. :)

Google Sante Fe 1903a3 while you're at it.They were commercial receivers paired up with G.I parts.The Fed receiver and broken scant stock pretty much puts it in a category of parts instead of a collectable.
A friend got one in trade assembled with almost mint Remington parts,so he looked around until he found a Rem marked receiver.Stripped the rifle and assembled a great condition Remington correct 1903a3.

Heck I had to look three time to catch the NO roll mark, old age is here!

I saw a NO at a local shop recently, it wasn't a bad looking rifle. Bolt cycled very nice. I believe these are an investment cast receiver like SAI uses on the M1A and repro Garands.

I would just hang a nice C stock on it and shoot the poop out of it. Evil bay has several new C stocks listed, some under $100.

It may not have the history of a usgi rifle but history doesn't make shoot better. Now that I think about it, every part but the receiver is gi, so it does have some history, just not as well documented.;)

If he wanted to he could build a nice rifle out of the parts, there are 1903 recievers for sale from time to time, usually for about 200 dollars.
He could put his parts on that, get a Smith to set the headspace and have a complete 1903 A3. But if the investment cast reciever is strong eneough, and safe eneough to shoot, You could put a stock on it and shoot and enjoy it. Thats the problem with my Remington 1903 A3 I worry about shooting it and wearing it out.

Hi JD

he means the National Ordnance rollmark on the receiver, just forward of the bolt, where the serial number is

Sorry JD, I get carried away with the abbreviations some times.
NO= National Ordnance.

The major 1903/1903A3 roll marks.

SA=Springfield Armory
RIA=Rock Island Armory
R=Remington
SC=Smith Corona

Don't be concerned about the National Ordnance cast receiver. It's a post war part and well be just fine for shooting. In fact there are current 1903A3 reproduction snipers being produced and sold for about 1K that use a cast receiver I believe.

Back