1900's Harrington Richardson 44 caliber double barrel shotgun

The shot guns pictured above are from my collection, and those are my pictures. I picked up the add at one of those "paper and ephemera" shows that my lady likes to go to. For reference, I bought the .44 cal. for $850 about 8 years ago (it needed some major work - through bolt was stripped and both side locks were loose in a baggy), and the 28 ga. (not pictured, but in better condition than the .44) cost me just a bit over $1000, both thru on-line auctions and after some very spirited bidding. I've only seen maybe 5 (3 in .44 and 2 in 28 in quite a few years of collecting, so I'm guessing they're pretty rare, today. The last year they were offered in the H&R catalogues was 1921, so they were only in production for approx. 12 years. These are mentioned in the newly rewritten H&R section of the 29th Edition of the "Blue Bood of Gun Values" by S. Fjestadt, upon which I had the honor of working with Bill Goforth.
Jim Hauff, H&R Collector

Last edited:
Jimbo300,
Your single barrel, with that chambering is either an H&R Model 1905 small frame, if it has a removable hinge pin -or- a small frame model 1915 if it has a fixed hinge pin. Fore stocks on the two models are different - the 1905 is affixed to barrel by a screw and the 1915 is a pull down and off. Butt stocks are pretty much the same. Your best bet to find original factory replacements is probably on one of the major on-line gun auction sites.
Jim Hauff

Back