Let me clarify that the cases in question were a lot of experimental cases made in 1890 before there really was a .30-40 or a U.S. Krag rifle.* But History of Modern US Military Small Arms Ammunition notes that the cases were brass, "tinned inside and out to better resist corrosion" and "were to be loaded with smokeless powder." Your statement about early smokeless powders corroding cases seemed to tie in with that information, but it does not specifically say that the "corrosion" was from the powder.

*Springfield was experimenting with the .30 caliber, using modified single shot trapdoor rifles, as pictured in Frasca and Hill's The .45-70 Springfield.

Jim

originally posted by tahoe2

So I pose the question , 30 grns Pyrodex RS and a 150grn cast bullet?
What kind of pressure and velocity can I expect as compared to a commercial 150 grn, 2300 fps load?

Are you mainly concerned about pressure in the old rifle? The Lyman cast bullet manual shows 14.4 grs SR4759 with a 150 gr cast bullet, with 1529 FPS velocity, and 16,700 CUP (pressure).

FWIW, I own an 1894 Winchester rifle in .30-30 with a 26 inch octagonal barrel that was made in 1896. The barrel says "NICKEL STEEL BARREL ESPECIALLY FOR SMOKELESS POWDER". I shoot off the shelf Winchester and Remington jacketed soft point ammo. Shoots quite well. I also own a 1910 made 1894 .30-30 saddle ring carbine that says the same thing on the barrel.

Malamute

I am concerned about pressure and the safety of my buddy, whom the rifle belongs to.

MJN77; No powders available any where around here, I do have some H-335 or BL(C)-2 which works well in my other 30-30's, but I just wanted to start out low & slow with the old girl.

It should be fine with factory loads so long as the action isn't grossly loose. Don't be alarmed if primers back out a little, its pretty common. Its more of a low pressure sign than a headspace issue. The 94's ejector holds the case forward in the chamber when fired and the primers often back out a little, even when the gun's headspace is within spec. Ammo is often on the skinny side headspace wise also. You can get primer protrusion even when everything is within spec. Unless its dramatic, I ignore it.

FWIW, I believe the Remington factory loads use bullets that are about a thou under average, it should alleviate pressure even more. The component bullets I have are .307" diameter. If you want to handlaod, just using starting loads with normal rifle powders should be alright.

The guys that handload 30-30 improved and 307 say that when loads get near max, they can feel a bit of lever kick when firing. (See William Iorgs posts on shooters forum, he handloads lever cals quite a lot. He's an education in himself, reading his posts and threads) Factory 30-30 loads are really pretty mild, but if you feel some lever kick, it may be worth having the headspace checked, and action looked at. Otherwise, I'd just shoot it and enjoy it.

Back