1894 25-35 70% 1909 (non-orig rifle sling - how much ding)

I believe early model 1894s had case hardened levers and hammers. Did that cease prior to 1909?

Last edited:
From those pictures, it looks to me as if both the bolt and the loading gate have been plated with silver or nickel. Is there an asking price on this rifle? The prices being quoted are more than I could afford, but it is an attractive rifle. I expect it's probably a good shooter. I would hunt with it if it were mine.

FWIW: Collectible because of the cartridge, but on the lower end of the price scale due to the non-original things like the sling swivels and the polished bolt.

There is about zero original finish on that rifle, so it has essentially no collector value. The sling swivels are irrelevant. If the barrel is good, it should be an accurate and effective shooter. Shoot it and enjoy.

Jim

It also looks like there are a couple of dings in the muzzle. If it doesn't shoot well, getting that muzzle touched up correctly could change everything up for the better.

Thanks so much everyone for the valuable input. I am going to make an offer on the 1894 25-35 however I'm not sure how I will go about explaining to the seller why his gun is not as valuable to others as it is to him. Maybe it has history that is non-negotiable.

Good luck with that. There are several 25-35 Winchesters listed on Gunbroker right now to give you some perspective. A brand new, half-octagon for $1,169 hasn't gotten any bids.... In fact, there are almost no bids at all on the 25-35's right now. You should probably make an offer that you expect to be rejected and be willing to walk away, letting the seller know that if he doesn't find a buyer that will meet his price, you would be interested at a price you can afford. Be polite, compliment him for a tastefully restored, though not quite original rifle, leave the seller your number with no bridges burned. You will probably get a call back in a week with a counter-offer. Avoid criticising the seller's high price; rather blame your budget so that the seller can respect your position without being offended at your offer.

cessna123 said:
I am going to make an offer on the 1894 25-35 however I'm not sure how I will go about explaining to the seller why his gun is not as valuable to others as it is to him.

Simple you don't, beating a guy up on the flaws of his rifle is a sure way to end negotiations quickly. Simply take cash and let that do all the talking. Either he'll want to take the cash or he'll let you walk. Either way no harm no foul and you both won't have a bad taste in your mouth..

Last edited:
Back