1894 25-35 70% 1909 (non-orig rifle sling - how much ding)

cessna123

I found a Winchester Model 1894 in 25-35 serial # 482xxx which I grade greater than 70%.

Someone installed a non-original rifle sling on it.

How much does the non-original sling decrease the value of the rifle?

I'm having trouble getting my image sizes small enough for the forum - pics later.

Thanks

Last edited:
I assume you're talking about the sling swivels hurting the value and not the sling. Is the front swivel a barrel band that's uses a screw to hold it together?

You rate it 70%, so to me you're buying a shooter and not a collector rifle. So to me sling studs don't hurt the value all that much all that much in my opinion. We need to know the price before we can offer any number to you.

1. Is it a round barrel or octagon?
2. Is the barrel stamped chrome-moly?
3. What kind of butt plate does it have?
4. What kind of sights does it have? This item can very costly to correct.
5. Is it a rifle or a carbine?
Do you know of any history that this gun has an can it be documented.
This gun is of an age that 70% condition is almost to good to be true. Look closely at the letters stamped on the barrel. If they are not sharp and crisp it likely has been reblued.

Depending on the next buyer. If he's a shooter? Nothing. In fact a sling is a benefit to the fellow.
But to a collector or store front business FFL holder. They always test the water in their purchases. (Hoping to seal it or buy such firearms as cheap as possible from those not knowing their firearms suggested worth.)
Depending on a slings installation? "The sky is the limit for such reductions."

On one occasion at a local gun show I witnessed a fellow collector knocking 25% off his astoundingly low offer due to a sling install on a 1894 carbine. I was truly embarrass as I watched the rifles owner sell (below pawn shop prices) his Great Grandfathers heirloom below its true worth. Although.

When I happen across a nice pre model 94 shooter with a decent sling and install in a common caliber. 50 bucks maybe? But a early 94 in the high 90s% NRA suggested figure. In a unusual caliber. I have to give such purchases some extra thought at the time of their buying? (check my finances >allowing for such high dollar purchases.) Being retired I found doing that check >is a necessity.

Thanks for your patience guys - still no luck with pics.
Working with my phone here - any suggestions on how to make the pics small enough for the forum?
Give me an email and I will email pics to you.
Octogonal barrel
Nickel steel
Rifle not carbine
26" barrel
No history

Another try at the pics

Attachments

• top_plate_small.jpg
    top_plate_small.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 56
  • rxtopandside_small.jpg
    rxtopandside_small.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 54
  • rx_top_shiny_small.jpg
    rx_top_shiny_small.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 51
Pics 456

Attachments

• rearsling_small.jpg
    rearsling_small.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 49
  • rearsite_small.jpg
    rearsite_small.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 46
  • lyman_front_site_small.jpg
    lyman_front_site_small.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 47
"...getting my image sizes small enough..." Thank you. You need to use one of the hosting sites anyway.
As mentioned, it's the holes made for the swivels that matter. How's the barrel?
The "I found..." suggests you're buying. That's not the same as when you're the seller. There's one on collectorsfirearms.com Archives that has had the stock replaced listed at $798.50. They call the .25-35 a scarce chambering. Buying the thing it'd be a cartridge that hard to get ammo for. Only listed at Midway as available from Hornady.

Pics 789

Attachments

• frontsling_small.jpg
    frontsling_small.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 39
  • hammer_top_small.jpg
    hammer_top_small.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 34
  • lever_wood_small.jpg
    lever_wood_small.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 36
10 11 12

Attachments

• cheekwood_small.jpg
    cheekwood_small.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 27
  • caliber_small.jpg
    caliber_small.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 27
  • buttplate_screw_small.jpg
    buttplate_screw_small.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 27
I love that rifle. Out of norm sling swivils wouldnt bother me at all. I'm too old to worry about collection values. I like shooting Winchesters. Id buy it in a heart beat and then I'd shoot it.

I've killed many a deer with my Grandfathers old Model 94 in 25-35, only it was a carbine.

My ex sister in law has it. I tried everything to get it from her. Oftered to buy her any rifle she chose to trade, but we never were on good terms so she refuses out of spite.

The 25-35 is an impressive round, much better of a deer/antelope gun then people would think.

During the depression my grandfather was getting meat for the family. Went to the hardware store in town to buy a hunting license. The clerk told him he'd give him $50 for that buck before he shot it. I guess he assumed no one bought a license in those days unless it was special and a license was needed for the Taxidermy.

About 15 years ago I was in Portland and saw some one put my grandfathers rack in the trash. I rescued it and brought it home. Then about two years ago my son told me it was a record. We got it messured and sure enough, its now in the Boone and Crockett Record book.

I'm gonna get a Model 94 in 25-35 if I can ever find one. It would go nice with my '94 Saddle Ring Carbine in 30-30 that was made in 1926.

Guy can never have too many Wincesters.

Rack.jpg

cessna123 said:
Someone please tell me now what I should pay for this piece of history...

Do some research on gunbroker.com, if you have an account you can search auctions that have ended and you'll see what similar condition rifles have sold for. You'll see as well which ones are overpriced and not selling by how many times they've been relisted. That's the best way I've found to determine what the value of something is worth.

The other thing is only pay what you're comfortable paying. If you think it's overpriced try to negotiate a price that is one you can live with. If you feel you have paid more than the rifle is worth, you'll never be happy with the purchase.

I'm not a Winchester collector by any means so I'm not going to give you a price for what the rifle is worth, I'll just say the swivel studs don't bother me much. However, if they bother you then I think you are justified in asking for a sellers concession on the price. Remember as well it isn't the only 1894 Winchester in .25-35 WCF for sale, if you're have the patience and persistence you can find the right deal on one for you.

Someone please tell me now what I should pay for this piece of history...
There are a few things on that rifle that make me wonder about what was going on with it.
Condition of the rifle looks to me to be no more than 60%. The bolt is "in the white" for some reason. Someone polished the top of the bolt for some reason unknown to us. It has a "white line" spacer between the nose cap and the forearm, whether to hide a mistake or an attempt to dress up the rifle. The sling swivel drilled into the nose cap is a downer, as is the sling swivel drilled too deep into the butt stock. If you were a collector, it would not even be considered except for one thing, it is a complete 1894 rifle in 25-35, one of the rarest configurations.

I buy 1894 rifles from $700 to $1000. Because of the caliber, I would pay up to $1100 for that rifle in spite of the issues with it.

My BIL bought a 94 in 25-35 last year in Amarillo for $1600. It is in better shape than the pictures you showed. He also bought a 94 in 30-30 at the same time.

One is a 1916 model year and the other is a 1934 model year IIRC.

He said he paid $1100 for the 30-30.

Both are in very good condition.

He had a hell of a time finding ammo for the 25-35. He was in a hardware store in Victoria and the guy had some. $60.00 per box. BIL bought 6 boxes.

BIL sold all his reloading stuff prolly 20 years ago and he asked me about it. When he runs out of ammo, I will most likely reload it, or buy the rifle from him. It would be cheaper for me to reload.

Back