1891 Argentine Mauser needs new barrel, caliber swap options

Doesn't the 91 Mauser have a longer tenon than the 93-96 small ring models?

If so, precludes any Mauser "prefits"...

Again, I am the proud owner of two of them, one has a 308 W chamber, the barrel installed on that 1891 is from a M1917 30/06. The owner said it was a 308 W, I informed him it was a 7.65mm53. When I got around to checking chambers, receivers and barrels I called him to let him know he was correct. He said he used that rifle for hunters that showed up without a rifle to hunt with. Had it been a 7.65mm53mm I would have sent it home with my son and grand kids; now I need to take it to the range and start developing ammo.

F. Guffey

"...local smiths who actually want to do real smithing..." Lot of smithies are untrained. Anybody who has a Sharpie can make a sign and call themselves a gun smith. Not all machinists are trained smithies either.
"...bullets are actually tumbling and..." If it's chambered in the original 7.65 x 53 Argentine, it uses a .311" bullet. If you're loading .308" bullets, they'll tumble as they're too small. Oh and a .311" bore isn't oversized. It's just a .311" barrel.
Right, I haven't found anyone legit and/or willing to do more than a drill/tap job within an hours drive. The few times I have found someone fairly local is was a "friend of a friend" type of thing.
I was shooting factory 7.65x53, I can measure the bullets to see if they were loaded wrong by the manufacturer.

I could look for a barrel but if is has to be new or nothing your choices are limited.
I am definitely not restricted to new barrels, but it would have to be a pretty good deal to go used.

Hmm, I need to look into this quickly, I had actually just backordered a 7mm Mauser barrel on Midway to take advantage of birthday pricing. Got the barrel for $75 or so. Was planning on trying to rent the tools and do most of the work myself.

I'm surprised by the comment that the OP's rifle didn't feed very well.
One of my first rifles was a DWM 1891 short carbine, which I bought back in the 1970's for $75 in excellent external condition (with a slightly dark bore).
The gunshow provided some surplus ammo on strip clips, and a single box of Norma soft points.
That Argentine carbine fed very smoothly. Pretty accurate, too. I will say that with the short barrel and light weight, it was impressive at the muzzle and at the flat steel buttplate when fired.
My only previous experience was with a sporterized Springfield 03A3 with a recoil pad, so the 1891 was a real blast...

Good point.
DeHaas shows the shank of a '91 Mauser as .715" long, 93,94,95,96 at .645".
Ugg, that's not good. I went back and reviewed my previous research and discovered that it seems most people talking about buying small ring barrels for the 1891 are talking about buying blanks and doing the lathe work. Back to having no idea what to do with this gun.

Corrosive primer military ammo, barrel left not cleaned with water based solvent, will eat away lands very quickly.
Have you tried SARCO? They have a lot of mil-surp not advertised, but are glad to check their inventory for you, if you just call them.
If you have some of lands still left you might try cast lead bullets at lower velocity (and pressure) since rough bores present more drag on bullet.
Also, if you have a C&R ffl03, you might get a U Fix Um from Century. I heard they bought all the Samco inventory, so some 91s may show up soon on their site.
If rest of rifle is nice, consider what nice ones sell for today, not what you gave for it.
Once I bought some MN 91/30s U Fix Ums from Century. They hadn't been fired since REFURB (sorry Windows cell keeps changing to "return"just before I submit) and not a thing wrong. $25 each!
Those 91s 7.65 are great little rifles. I'd keep it stock,fix it right and enjoy.
Pat

Trying to finish some projects, I have not test tired the Argentine 91 chambered to 308 W but I have found enough parts to fix that one plus 2 complete rifles and 2 receivers with 3 bolts and trigger guards etc. I will have to travel 40 miles one way.

F. Guffey

Back