1891 Argentine Mauser, 7.65mm

7.65 Argentine Mauser 1891

I own a 7.65 Argentine Mauser 1891.

I am trying to locate a parts list and instructions on how to assemble and disassemble it properly.

I am having troubles getting the firing rod to slide into place. The bolt will not rotate into place allowing me to close the cylinder.

If you can offer any guidance, please contact me-
jtfrogxx@aol.com

old thread but worth reviving- yet another of these Argentine 7.65 caliber Mauser rifles fell into my lap, and of all the Mauser milsurps I've bought and test fired, the 7.65 x 53 is the most accurate. Actually stunning accuracy, so far I've tried the 1891 Loewe, 1909 DWM, and an FN Peruvian. The FN shot as good as a new Winchester, Remington, Ruger, Savage.

they hit a sweet spot with that 7.65 round, it's half way between a 308 and 30-06

milsurpcollector said:
they hit a sweet spot with that 7.65 round

When you compare it to some of its contemporaries, like the .30-40 Krag or the 7.62x54R, it is amazingly modern-looking.

Remember that Mauser didn't have a piece of the 8mm Gew. 1888 Commission Rifle. So they developed the 7.65mm and 7mm. After 1898, when a Mauser rifle was adopted by Germany in 8mm, the company added that cartridge to its standard calibers and pushed the 7.65 into the background.

Jim

Jim Keenan said:
Remember that Mauser didn't have a piece of the 8mm Gew. 1888 Commission Rifle.

...and was none too pleased about it, either.

One of the more fortunate snubs in firearms history, in the long run.

7.65mm Argentine Mauser Rifle Ammo

Is there anyone out there or in this thread who can tell me if there is any other cartridges that can be fired in this 7.65 x 54 mm Argentine Rifle besides the 7.65 x 54 cartridge? If so can U give me a list of all Ammo that will work OK in this rifle? :confused: Thanks in advance :D, Les

I have one of these that I inherited from my father 20 years ago. It has followed me to several different homes since then and lived in many closets over the years. It hasn't been cleaned or fired since I snuck it out of the gun cabinet one day as a 17 year-old boy and blew through every round my dad had for it (about 30 or so if I recall.) I had to unscrew the hinges on the cabinet to get the door off. The ignorance of youth....sometimes I wonder how I survived. :)

Anyway, I recently took up handguns and subsequently decided to pull the old rifle out and eventually stumbled across this thread. I think I'd like to clean the old girl up and maybe fire a few rounds through it just for sentimental reasons. Is anyone aware of any documentation on the web that could ease me through the process of cleaning and inspecting this rifle? Would I be better served taking it to a gunsmith and letting him give it a thorough inspection and cleaning?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Erik

i have just gottan a mauser argentine 1891 from my grandpa but there is no clip. can someone help me and tell me where i can get a clip for this gun.

Numrich still has the mags, but they are now $46.80, and, while the outer box is original, it states that they have "replacement followers." This apparently has something to do with the reduced capacity.

One thing you have to make sure of, however, is that you don't have an early gun with a swiveling mag retainer attached to the forward tang of the trigger guard assembly; Those require a mag box with a slot cut in the front to accomodate that retainer.

Jim Watson said:
Well, you can get takedown instructions at:
http://www.gundigeststore.com/produc...embly-download

I would hope you could learn how to clean and lubricate a bolt action rifle from available information.

Jim, thanks for the speedy response. I've never taken down a rifle of any kind, so I'm starting from scratch on this one. I'm fairly certain I can figure it out, but figured it would help to have some model-specific info to guide me. I will poke around the gundigest site and see what I can find.

Thanks again,

Erik

I love my 1891 argentine mauser

I plan on taking it to the range when we get nicer weather along with my Mosin 1891-30 and putting them through some tests.

Back