1886/1892, Miroku Winchester or Chiappa??

RIDE-RED 350r

OK, so I have been lusting after a new Winchester 1886 Short Rifle and 1892 Short Rifle for awhile now and decided that my next new rifle purchase will be the 1886.

The other day I was kicking around on Chiappa's web page and found that they make 1886 and 1892 rifles in several different variants. I was a bit surprised to see this as I had no idea that Chiappa makes these rifles.. They look like very nice rifles. So I did a little looking on a popular online firearms distributor and was a bit surprised to see the prices that were coming up. They are right on par with the Winchesters on that metric..

So what I'm wondering is how the two compare?? For roughly the same money, is one better than the other?? I have observed very little in the way of poor ratings about the Miroku Winchester rifles seems as though every person who buys one loves everything about it with reports of excellent fit and finish, and perfect functionality.. A high quality firearm in pretty much every way.

How does the Chiappa compare?? Anyone have one? Anyone use or fondle one?? I do like that Chiappa offers more variants of these models to choose from in terms of length, finish, and stock/grip profile...

I've shot them, handled them (some guys I know have them), and researched them. I'd suggest that they are not on par with the Miroku made guns. Miroku really takes no back seat to any gun company. That includes past and present. For me, it's a no brainer which one I'd get. Now someone who owns the Chiappa will disagree, but I'll stick to my guns on this one (literally). The fit, finish, and quality control in the Miroku's is outstanding. Go visit the CASCity web site or the SASS and see what they think about the difference. These guys shoot the heck out of these guns and they pretty much all agree that the Miroku is smoother and better than the Chiappa.

Last edited:
I agree that the Miroku is the hands down winner in the fit/finish/function category....what's the price difference between the two?

Well, the price difference is very little.. In fact, I think the Chiappas are a few dollars more for equivalent models in some cases.

$1318 for a Chiappa 1886 Short Rifle on Buds. I've seen Miroku 1886 SR's for prices around/under $1100 new.

Not really surprised by the responses thus far. ;)

I have a Miroku / Winchester / Browning Model 65 in 32-20. It's extremely well made. I wouldn't bother with anything else at the same price.

Miroku has been making REALLY good guns for quite some time. It kills me that it is a Japanese Winchester and that Japan is as anti gun as they come but damn if those Japanese winchesters are not fantastic guns.

If you can find a NIB Miroku for $1100 or less, buy all you can get your hands on. I bought mine three years ago for $1150 and it took a while to find one. That would be a great price if you can even find one NIB.

Miroku makes whatever the customer wants. If the customer wants junk then they make junk but if the customer wants high quality then they make very high quality and the Miroku Winchesters are very high quality.

Miroku makes whatever the customer wants. If the customer wants junk then they make junk but if the customer wants high quality then they make very high quality and the Miroku Winchesters are very high quality.
That's an interesting comment. False, but interesting. Why don't you tell us which "junk" guns Miroku made? I guess all the fake news isn't on TV or in the paper. Sounds like you don't like Miroku. Facts man, facts!
Here's a brief history of Miroku, FN, and Browning. A good read.
http://www.browning.com/news/articles/brief-history-browning-legendary-miroku-factory.html

Last edited:
That's an interesting comment. False, but interesting. Why don't you tell us which "junk" guns Miroku made? I guess all the fake news isn't on TV or in the paper. Sounds like you don't like Miroku. Facts man, facts!

You may not remember all the junk Japanese flintlock pistols that wouldn't spark that flooded the market back in the 70's but they were made by Miroku and there were some junk caplock rifles in the 80's also made by Miroku. Anything with the brand name Ultra Hi is junk and made by Miroku. I don't have anything against Miroku, just stating facts. I just said Miroku Winchesters were very high quality.

Go back up and read my link. Then post your links to the "Miroku" made flintlock pistols. I'd like to read the factual info on the Miroku flintlocks, etc. I can't find any reference to it anywhere. Thanks.

EDIT: I did some more research and found some references to Miroku made ML firearms. Both handgun and rifle. All articles referenced how well the guns were made, they'd "shoot with the best of them", quality was exceptional, etc. I'll keep looking to see if I can find any truthful negative reviews. I did find a couple where the person complaining was confused as to who made the firearm they had. Some others on that forum corrected them. Often see where the Miroku was compared to Pedersoli and found to be of better quality. Surprised there, I've owned severl Pedersoli guns and they were all outstanding in quality, fit, and finish.

Last edited:
I have a Sears/ Miroku ml from back in the day. The barrel and lockplate are dandy, even fancy, but the lock, brass furniture, and stock look like a bad CVA kit. Hawg recollects right on these. They are variable. I have an extra-lite model 1886 Miroku in 45-70, and the only fly on it is where someone had to allow it wasn't a Winchester on account of Olin, but it could be a Browning, cut in the steel. Other than that, it's as nice as my model '92 short rifle, also made by Miroku. If you had to point to anything, the tang safety might be it. With the rebounding hammer you have to do something and at least it isn't the Franken cross-bolt. Both the hammer and tang safety can be made to disappear for a few dollars more, if they make your sensibilities revolt.

I currently own a Japanese (Miruko) Winchester (Extra Light Weight 1886) rifle and, after examining the superb workmanship and fine finish of this exemplary firearm, I quickly "got past" any adverse prejudice regarding any supposed deficiency the Japanese might have evinced in terms of making quality firearms I may have entertained otherwise.

On the other hand, I have no experience with Chiappa firearms other than a cursory handling of them in gun stores and gun shows. They certainly appear to be nicely made and finished firearms.

Overwhelming responses in favor of Miroku. :) So given the fact that the Chiappas are as much and in some cases more $$$ than the Miroku, that makes a new Winchester the better bargain! Can't wait to tell the wife about this! LOL! :D

Winchester isn't Winchester anymore. Browning only ever made about a hundred guns in its entire history (fact, check it out). It's all about names. They get bought and sold. If it gets anyone's panties in a bunch that a Miroku isn't a "real" Winchester, then just think of it as a Miroku and get on with it. They are outstanding quality firearms. The 1886 is as good as it's ever been when they make it. Don't like the safety? Take it off and fill in the hole. I had Turnbull do a bunch of work on mine and they can't say enough about how good the Miroku's are. The supply of original Winchesters is dried up. What you often find is ruined junk after years of neglect. FWIW, my Miroku (let's not pretend it's a real "Winchester", because Winchester doesn't make guns anymore. It's a name stamped on the gun) will shoot five shots into approx. 1.5" at my personal range of 114 yds. on a very, very repeatable basis. If I was like most shooters, I'd only report the three shot groups. Those are often around an inch. It's flawless in function, fit, and finish. Do I really care that it wasn't made in the Winchester factory? Not a bit. It's a great gun.
Note: I've been on this forum since 2009, but that doesn't make me smarter. I've been on this earth almost seventy years and that helps a bit. Experience is worth something.

Back