1873 Peacemaker

My problem with loading/unloading a Single Action with the left hand, gun held in the right is that you have to reach over (or around) the gun each time. For me, its easier and simpler to hold the gun in my left hand (and not in a shooting grip) and use my right to work the ejector and insert fresh rounds.

Of course both ways will work, its just a matter of what works best for you.

Left handed here. Gun is held in the right and reloaded with the left. I'm not saying it's the way to do it, but it works for me.

I'm 61, be 62 in 13 days. I've been holding them in the left hand and loading with the right for 51 years. It just seems natural to me.

I'm 61, be 62 in 13 days. I've been holding them in the left hand and loading with the right for 51 years. It just seems natural to me.
Well happy early birthday. Just noticed this board does seem to be the old farts club, at least by Internet standards. Seems we are all about the same age.
63 is coming up for me in Feb. Looking very forward to 65, just to get on Medicare. I'm a very small company and by far the biggest bill I pay monthly is health insurance. I don't want to make ya'll sick by posting the amount per month I currently pay.
Have not been shooting SA much in recent years, I'm a righty and hold in the left to load.
Now here's a question. I recently acquired a Colt 1889 NMA+N first revolver with a swing out cylinder as on a modern wheel gun. Has any company made a revolver that the cylinder swings opposite? IE: like same side as the loading gate we are discussing. Have never seen one like that.

Well happy early birthday. Just noticed this board does seem to be the old farts club, at least by Internet standards. Seems we are all about the same age.
63 is coming up for me in Feb. Looking very forward to 65, just to get on Medicare.

Thanks! I've been on disability for about 5 years, been on Medicare for three Medicaid is a lot better but they took that away from me when Medicare kicked in.

Back