1860 snub nose

It'll shoot well, as in "often", of course. I got a half dozen of that 1860 Pietta frame, but mine all have the entire barrel and grips. It's a fine shooter, but maybe not a good "aimer" with that short barrel. :)

The current issue of "Guns of the old west" had an article about it but I was wondering if anyone else has shot it. There are some videos on YouTube but can't seem to get them to rum on my computer.
I have a 1860 clone, 7 1/2 barrel and 3 '58 Remingtons. Think about getting the 1860 snub nose as well.

I ruined a barrel on an 1860 and cut the remainder down to the approximate size as shown. It was very noisy and somewhat erratic in accuracy. I spent one short session with it and put the barrel away.
My main match guns are the 5.5" barrel 1860s.

Freedom 475,
Thanks, I'm looking into Dixie Gun Works. I have an old catalog of theirs from 2011 and it was not in there but that's probably because the catalog is old.

Isn't it possible....

That even with that short barrel you might be able to work up some pretty accurate loads?

My tendency would be to continue to shoot the same load as I would for a barrel that is four times as long.

Bet you could back off on the charge and smooth it up.

Doc, the one I chopped a couple of months ago shoots POA and as accurately as I can hold it at 12yds. The big issue is proper crowning of the bbl. Doing it by hand ( the only method available to me), can take me up to 45min.

I cut a new slot for a site I made, then applied a bit of silver solder finally straight line punch peined it on either side.

Attachments

• SnubbieSite.jpg
    SnubbieSite.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 47
say thats a good lookin stub sltml, I cut one down recently (1860 army) and used the 51 grip frame and then antiqued it to look old. I will be reshaping my grips and frame also to make even more compact. any way nice job..:D:D

power n lead, Sweet job!! What is the difference in size on the grips? I've never owned a 51' ? BTW, reshaping the hammer makes for much easier cocking.

thanks everyone! sltm1 my army is an old asm and I used a pietta grip frame and had to trim the upper mounting tangs to match the frame and slightly open the lower (bottom) 2 grip frame holes which the screw heads cover well..

Back