1860 Loading lever latch

Update

This is really late, and I thought about just letting it slide, but maybe it will be of interest for those who have not done this particular task. It was a first for me. I probably have gone into too much detail.

At first I tried to hold back the loading latch, while filing the latch retaining pin with a narrow file.

attachment.php

I thought perhaps I could file the pin through, and thus avoid possibly scarring the loading lever by grinding (as James K cautioned). However I found that the spring was too strong to hold with my fingers for long enough to file, so I gave up on this approach.

Next I clamped the loading lever securely so that it would not move around. Then I found a hard flame-shaped stone bit for my Dremel, with a tip smaller than the bradded end of the retaining pin and carefully ground away the end of the pin.

attachment.php

After very carefully grinding away the end of the pin, I made a small diameter punch and drove the retaining pin out of the loading latch.

attachment.php

Attachments

• filepin.jpg
    filepin.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 528
  • grindout2.jpg
    grindout2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 529
  • madepunch.jpg
    madepunch.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
I made the cutout that the retaining pin works in deeper with a cutting wheel and the Dremel.

attachment.php

There was plenty of material left on the latch end for strength. This would be the time to file any rough edges or corners and reblue the latch end.

attachment.php

I made a new retaining pin from a 1 inch, .05 inch diameter brad, leaving enough length to peen the end of the new pin.

attachment.php

I also blued the new retaining pin.

Attachments

• deeprgroove.jpg
    deeprgroove.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 538
  • nailpin.jpg
    nailpin.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 526
  • endscalespring.jpg
    endscalespring.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
Getting this length right is important. Too much length (what I did) means you file more, and too little length means you start over. I think 1/16th inch would have been better than the extra length I allowed. It would have been easier to peen with less filing.

attachment.php

Then using a small flat file I removed the excess metal, while trying not to mark the loading lever. When the peened overlapping metal is thin enough, it can be pried up and broken off to save some filing before final smoothing.

attachment.php

The finished latch now engages the barrel stud fully.

attachment.php

Attachments

• braddedbrad.jpg
    braddedbrad.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 527
  • smoothdbrad.jpg
    smoothdbrad.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 515
  • latchclosefixd.jpg
    latchclosefixd.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 520
Last edited: