1860 Army Sheriff VS Full Size

JACKlangrishe

Any significant shortcomings for the shorter Sheriff model of the 1860 Army?

I'm assuming loading ball is more of a pain without the additional leverage.. I've even seen people fashion extenders out of pipe.

How about accuracy and power? Are they signifigantly reduced with the shorter barrel?

For those who have both.. if you could only keep one, which would it be and why?

Thanks for the input!

Well, I don't have any short ones but I don't see any significant shortcomings. Yeah accuracy and velocity might be down a little, and less leverage, but if you are not doing any contest shooting why not just get what looks good to you?

Long ones, shorter ones....they all are a hoot to shoot. A lot of the guys here would say...why not both? As for power, you will experiment with varying amounts of powder to find that sweet spot that gives the best results for you anyway....power is not a problem.

I like a 7.5" or 8" barrel, but a shorter one would draw a little better from the holster. Just depends on what you like. You may not know until you shoot some. I think you said you were just getting started. If you haven't already, try to handle some at Cabelas or somewhere to see which one (long, short, 1851, 1860 etc.) feels good. They're all fun.

Thanks!!! I wish I could! No Cabela's in my state and very little BP in any local gun shops.

That said, I'm pretty much sold on the 1860 Army.. I was just exhausting all remaining research before I commit. I JUST missed the $225 out the door sale combined with the free shipping promo. I read that the free shipping promo will expire 11/23, which means if it's not selected for discount on cyber Monday, I might be dropping $298 on it including shipping :mad: At that point, Id probably be better off with Dixie Gun Works.

I hope Cabela's gives me one more shot at a break on that '60 Army.
I'll be financially prepared this time.. I promise!!

They sell a tool to slip over the loading lever to give you more leverage:

http://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&path=134&product_id=256

Could also use a piece of PVC pipe.

I found myself in your position about a year ago. Missed Cabela's sale on the Pietta 1860's so ordered one 1 from Dixie Gunworks (top in pic below) for $245.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=946

Also found a used one on Gunbroker that came with a R&D conversion cylinder but was missing the original cylinder. Picked up a spare BP cylinder from Cabela's.

26992943134_22fd8455e1_b.jpg

Then a couple months ago snagged a $150 short barrel 1851 44 brasser.
28635737693_c62fae701c.jpg

I'm hoping Cabela's puts the steel frame 1860 Sheriff or 1851 44 Sheriff on sale. I want 1.

There's an 1860 on Gunbroker with bids at $175. Bid $200 on it and see if you can get it shipped to your house for the same as the one at Dixie.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/599077426

Oh baby I'm officially jealous!
Those are some beauts!

I went from only wanting a silver gun and hating the modern bluing, to growing a bit of a liking for it. I bet in person will be even more impressive.

Also thanks for the link! Also a great looking piece, but I kind of wanted to go new on my first BP gun. ..I know, I know, I'm one of Those kinds of people.. I did that with my first 1911 and I still think of that to this day with that gun. Also, I've seen some people with the worst firearm/powderarm habits and I always say to myself 'See.. that's why you shouldn't buy used!' -- Keep in mind, I'm aware that's a novice mindset and the real pros are knee deep in pre-owns. I'm kind of OCD like that and I never was able to shake it.

Anyway--- So far my plan is to wait out and see if I get lucky with Cyber Monday on the 1860 Army. We'll probably lose that free shipping code by then but who knows, it might be replaced with something different.. something better? :confused::) If not, hopefully Dixie will still be at 245 +shipping.

I like the shorter Sheriffs model 1860s. Easier to handle in CAS competition than the 8" ones. The slixhand lever extension is a must.

DSCN21631_zps64ed68ff.jpg

jack

Even though you want to start with new, since you are having a hard time finding some to fondle.......check to see if any of the pawnshops in your area have some BP's lying about.

If so, you might get to compare a few for balance etc.

Great advice. I'll check the local shops more thoroughly while I'm waiting. Who knows I might find one and fall in love? I'll keep an open mind.

Not so sure the "sherrif" model ever existed in real life.

Most cowpokes and shootists I know prefer the proper 8 inches o' steel that the true 1860 brings.

Not so sure the "sherrif" model ever existed in real life.

Not as a factory offering. I don't even think they would cut one down as a special order. There were some local smiths that would do it and there were some hacksaw jobs I'm sure but I really don't think it was a common practice. It would be akin to buying a brand new Colt SAA and taking a hacksaw to it and I don't think anybody today is going to spend 1,500 bucks on something and whack it off.

Truth is Pietta doesn't care if it's historical. Only if it sells. And boy do they, made cheap and inauthentic.

Uberti is a bit better but they're guilty too.

I'm pretty much sold on the full size and am very excited to get one. Just waiting to see if I can get lucky over the holiday sales.

I don't even remember being this excited over my 1911. That's crazy!
Something about black powder.. simplicity, sustainability, a connection with the earth maybe? Very refreshing change from the super industrialized cartridge firearm world.

In the meantime I'm going to comb through the rest of the knowledge on this board, including that amazing sticky, and come up with a checklist so I have my inventory and initial procedures right and don't spend money on things I don't need. I also want to tune the gun per duelist1954's prepping videos on youtube, as well as his hammer modification to eliminate cap sucking on stock nipples.

Can't Wait!

Yes! Thanks for those links!!

I've also concluded after much research that although Uberti is known as a more faithful repro with better fit and finish, it also has a higher number of issues to contend with. Also, for some reason I remember reading something about Uberti's not doing well with paper cartridges but I'm not 100% on that.

I have been pleased with what few Uberti's I've had. Yeah they have short arbors but that's an easy fix. Uberti made some fantasy stuff in the early days like .44 51's in brass frames but other than the adjustable sighted 58 Remington most of their stuff now is historically accurate. If cost were no object I'd have a lot more Uberti's than Pietta's.

The nice thing about the Pietta Colt 1860 is that ya dont HAVE to choose!

Ive got one with a 3" barrel and the thunderer grip. I am going to get the 5" barrel as well and swap them out as needed... Then eventually get a 12" carbine barrel (1851 octagon only, but will work on an 1860 in .44) and standard grip along with the shoulder stock... A number of different gun configurations all on the same frame.

Shrugs... Or might just get one of each cos Im addicted to them... LOL

Back