1858 Remington .45 LC conversion - Load data?

That makes sense. Thanks Aguila, for clarifying that. I think I'll make my high limit with load data for pressure and keep it 10% less than 12000 psi to avoid any possible spike. Just to stay safe while working up the load.
Nice pics Driftwood. I like the old manual better than the new one. You're right about the weak spot on the NA, But the new metal is stronger than orginals. Just gotta love that top strap.
The strength of the steel is probably about the same. Colt was using wrought iron for frames up until the 20th century. Remington was using steel for frames in the 1860's. The steel used in modern bp guns is still soft. Actually as far as bp pressures go the Remington top strap isn't any stronger than the Colt open top. In fact it may not be as strong. The Remington has a weak point where the metal is thin just below the loading port.

diginit said:
Just did a little research. Bullet diameter .452
Trailboss with a 200g LRNFP. Win brass and primers Max load 6.5g. 855 fps at 11000psi
Trailboss with a 230g LRNFP. Win brass and primers Max load 6.5g. 802 fps at 12400psi
Trailboss with a 250g LRNFP. Win brass and primers Max load 5.8g. 727fps at 12700psi
This blows the 850fps rating out the window. Not to mention my 10% theory.
I imagine the lawerized factory cowboy loads are safe. But if reloading, Get the data.

What's the source of these data? Do you have a pressure barrel, or did you find these numbers on the Internet somewhere?

You can get a little more velocity within allowable pressure by switching to a bit slower burning powder like Unique, if it matters to you.

This is directly from Hodgdon Trailboss load data. Howell told me max 12,000 psi. and max 850fps. BTW. Hodgdon is the only data I can find with PSI listed. They unfortunately list their Schofield data in CUP.

Attachments

• Trail Boss Data 200-250g.jpg
    Trail Boss Data 200-250g.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 16
Workin up

I am going to work up a load with a heavier bullet. I would like to see what a 250g would do and would like to stay in the so-called safe range. My 1858 seems to like the Low, Medium, and max. with the 200g. Everything else is 6 to 8" groups. These were shot with my elbow resting on a backpack. Those little black things on the slixshot cones are home made snap caps from drip lines. Put in a piano wire spring, lightened the hammer spring and ground the adjustment screw. Got the trigger down to 1.5lbs. Flattened out the trigger with a torch and a hammer. I don't want to blow her up now.

Attachments

• Workin Up.jpg
    Workin Up.jpg
    698.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back