1858 Remington 44 ?s

I've not tried the weaker "target" loads in mine as it's a hunting sidearm. I found that 30 grns of 3F Olde Eynsford or Triple 7 give me the best groups at 15 yds with a ball or my 170 or 195 grn bullets (the 195 grn bullet is just 0.460" long), and this is not a max load, which opened up the group a bit.

Mine is a 2013 Pietta model.

My half cent. Uberti 1858 steel frame. Shot 40 grains Goex fffg for a long time, was what the gun store sold me on my powder flask. Gatofeo wad and 454 round ball. Bought a Uberti colt and switched to 30 grains. Have used both 10 and 11 Remington caps. I also have a "can" of Pyrodex p and other than it stinks different really can't tell the difference. Much prefer the old fashioned stench of the real stuff.

1858 Remington 44s

PMs, I've received a couple of informative PMs on this topic. I attempted to respond yesterday but somehow managed to send the originals back to the sender. Tried to respond this morning but when I finished the response found out I'd been logged out and the response was gone when I logged back in. I don't have time to figure this out right now but I appreciate the input and will try to get back to senders later today. Thanks.

preboomer said:
Is anyone using or tried Hodgdon Pyrodex 30 gr Pellets for 44 & 45 black powder revolvers? They're getting good reviews for being cleaner and safer than black powder as well as easier/faster to load. They look to be considerably more expensive than black powder or standard pyrodex and I don't recall seeing anything about their accuracy.

If you want instant gratification - try out the pellets. While spendy - them plus caps and 454 ball = instant gratification.

At least for 100rds.

Or you can make paper cartridges and use exactly what you want.

35 grns of 3F Olde E or T7 work well in my ROA, and 30 grns of either in my NMA, though I've only tried increments of 5 grns starting with 20. They are slightly more energetic than the pellets.

Is anyone using or tried Hodgdon Pyrodex 30 gr Pellets for 44 & 45 black powder revolvers? They're getting good reviews for being cleaner and safer than black powder as well as easier/faster to load. They look to be considerably more expensive than black powder or standard pyrodex and I don't recall seeing anything about their accuracy.

The pellets are quite expensive compared to bulk powders.
Also they can sometimes be hard to ignite, without first adding a couple grains of real black powder first. ( not always just sometimes).
Plus rumor has it Pyrodex is planning to discontinue them.

You got a black powder gun to experience the sport and history of black powder guns right? Stick with real black powder and not that fake stuff.

My slow twist 1858 shoots best with 35 grain charges under a round ball. 25-30 grain charges are great for punching paper and plinking, 35 gets the guns a kickin' in yer hand!

Pick up some Ted Cash Universal Straight Line Cappers, A .45 caliber pistol loading rod from Track of the Wolf and a flask with 24, 30 and 35 grain spouts.

Make your own gun and cleaning lube from olive oil and beeswax, make your own wads and lube with them with tallow...

You can make a lot of your own items to keep the guns running or take advantage of all the store bought stuff.

1858 Remington 44s

Thanks for the info. Got a good deal on 2lbs of black powder, 454 balls and most of the accessories required for loading from another shooter at our gun club that's getting on in age. Black powder it is.

With black powder revolvers, it isn't about speed. To me, it is about relaxation. I am not fighting the Commanches or the rebs, I'm havin' me some fun.

I like to do it safely, taking my time, using the "old ways", not the new gimmicky crap. You might find someday that you like it that way as well. :)

There's room for up to 40 grains of Pyrodex but 30 - 35 shoots best in my pair 8 & 5 1/2" bbls with a patch and .451. Ball.
I have tried lesser charges but mine don't like it!
I use pinched #11 caps on these Piettas.
Great revolvers!
I tried a conversion cylindEr with 250 gr RNFT schofield handload bullets and it shot great!
HTH,
ZVP

Same here ZVP 30 grains seems to be the load on the NMA. It shoots great. Light loads and monster loads not so much. But I figure 30 grains of the push is 45 ACP ballistics pretty much so that works for me

Back