1858 New Army Revolver-First BP Revolver?

Hawg-- Your first post here was longer than the last 20 i seen you write anywhere else :eek:

BTW folks, I know this guy from SASS & he knows his BP stuff :D

Hey Hoss! No I don't get long winded very often but I wanted to make a first impression. Either good or bad. :p

1858 New Army

Thanks Hawg,

I think it is really going to come down to what feels right to me. If a Pietta has the right feel that will be the one. Although I didn't see one, I assume Pietta has a New Army model. As far as the top strap vs. no top strap, that is more personal preference rather then a real concern. I just like the way it looks. Nice to have you here.

Thanks John. One thing to consider about the Remmy is if you have big hands the trigger guard may give you a rap on the second knuckle with heavier loads. The Pietta has thicker grips than the originals which feel better in the hand but puts your knuckle a tad closer to the guard. The Colt has longer grips and is just generally a better feel and is a more natural pointer but it all comes down to personal preference. Nothing wrong with the Remmy's. I have two, one of them I've had for 38 years. First bp gun I ever bought.

Does anyone know of a web site where we can see what Pietta has to offer.
I have done many search's but had no luck.

Well, yes, at least there was one at one time: www.pietta.it/index_2.htm, but using that URL you get redirected to an error page. The site must be down for some reason.

If you use just www.pietta.it you get a site that says, "We will be online very soon."

1858 New Army

I'm going to test out a few BP revolvers here in about 2 weeks. I remembered that the safety engineer at work is a Civil War 'recreator' (actor?) and has several BP firearms. He has invited me to the range to shoot what he has when he gets back from vacation, including his copy of the Ubertti New Army. Seems to be the best way to understand what I'm getting into as far as black powder and specifically the New Army. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks all for the help. I'll let you know how it goes at the range.

Civil War Reanactors

Civil War Reancators may be the best source of info, because they "live" the black powder life, collect the gear, and certainly share their experiences around the campfire.

1858 New Army - Reenactors

I figured the safety engineer would be a good resource for black powder in general. He still has the mustache of the time though I don't think there is much reenacting here in Arizona. He used to live in Virginia.

I bought a Pietta target model last Feb from Cabelas and have shot it a lot(prob 800 rds). For the price the fitment was quite good. I'd do it again... I didn't even have to adjust the adjustable sights..... good luck.

Back