1851 Navy Pepperbox

When Pietta did their "brainstorming" session concerning the Navy "Pepperbox" .36 they completely missed an opportunity to create an even more non-historical revolver with a Dragoon-style kaboom: the 1862 J.H. Dance and Brothers .44 Pepperbox.

Pietta has been manufacturing the Dance .44 based upon a Navy frame that has the complete water table lowered to accommodate the non-rebated .44 cylinder since ~1996 and CNC machined since ~2002. It would have been just as easy to create a .44 cylinder the length of the .36 cylinder.

Pietta Dance .44.

Comparison of cylinder diameters between the Pietta Dance .44 cylinder and the Pietta Navy .36 cylinders.

Myself, I do not understand the fascination with snubbie C&B revolvers other than as a curiosity, and am not downing folks who enjoy them.

A matter of taste, I suppose.

Regards,

Jim

Yeah, it reminds me of the self-defense pistols my sister and brother-in-law carry. She carries a .22 caliber revolver, and he has a Derringer cambered in 4-10.

I don't want to hijack this thread so I will keep it short. A .22 is better than no gun at all. The .410 derringer is a good one-shot gun with 2-1/2" cartridges having 5 lead round balls, but it is only a one shot gun. I still prefer my slab-sided 1911 .45 inside the waistband for HD/SD.

Regards,

Jim

Myself, I do not understand the fascination with snubbie C&B revolvers other than as a curiosity, and am not downing folks who enjoy them.

I got a bit bored with my 1851 Snubby, so I decided to have more options. It can now be a .36 sheriff and a .44 buntline as well.

Last edited:
Back