1851 colt navy

I'll hazard a guess.I haven't read all the posts on this thread, and this may have already been mentioned, but Federal arsenals were among the first things seized after the various Southern states seceded from the Union. Maybe this revolver was seized and renumbered using whatever numbering scheme the Confederates had?

But to what end? Let's assume, for a moment, the Johnny Rebs did decide to undertake such a scheme. Wouldn't they, as long as they were busy altering these pistols, also strike in CSA or something similar on the stamping? Not to mention that the overstriking appears to be in an identical typeface (and to have been done to an identical depth). That would be awfully difficult to do unless they had captured the actual Colt factory. No, I think the answer or answers lie elsewhere.

Well both those numbers indicate production in 1862, which was a bit late for the CS to be seizing northern arsenals, and AFAIK there is no record of the Confederates ever renumbering any captured Federal arms. In fact, they seldom bothered to even mark the guns "CS". A "CS" stamp has been applied many times more often in recent years than one ever was during the CW.

Besides, the CS had no "numbering scheme"; their few revolver factories each used its own numbering and I guarantee none got anywhere near 119100.

Jim

Origanaly posted by Jim W
Lessee, now.
The serial number was clearly restruck;
"And then it looks like the US marking has been oblilterated."

How often have we seen such things on Grandpa's pilfered 1911?
Could HIS Grandpa have been worried about taking his sidearm home, too?

Actually the family story goes- Whatever ansestor, was a gun dealer. He moved out west to avoid jail for selling to the "wrong side" don't know where he lived so not sure what side that would be. He might have re-struck but why bother? You can still see the old number under it.

Didn't mention it before cause its more of a rumor really. The only thing my dad knows for sure is it was brought to idaho in 1888 from Iowa by Jim Conlee. Our earliest ancestor in Idaho. And that doesn't really match up with the gun dealer Civil war story.

The new number is also struck much deeper (twice as deep maybe) so its very obvious. Maybe he was trying to get away with something but if so he didn't think it out very well.

In the old days, no one really cared about serial numbers. Only "quality" makers put them on, primarily to keep track of upgrades and as part of a warranty system. They could also be used as inventory control by stores or the larger users, like the military and police. There was no legal requirement to put them on and few gun or hardware stores bothered to record the numbers when they sold individual guns.

Also, by 1888, that Navy would have been an old piece of junk. Before about 1880, some people still liked to use cap and ball because the components were easy to get in remote areas, but by 1888 fixed ammo in common calibers was certainly available, even in Idaho.

Jim

Back