1851 Colt Navy 1st Gen.

The correct barrel address for that serial number would be " - ADDRESS SAML COLT NEW YORK CITY -", and it would be smaller letters and shorter than that one. The hammer knurling would be hand cut cross-hatching, not lines. The caliber marking was done with a single stamp, not individual letters, etc., etc.

Sorry, but the gun is a fake, pure and simple. I hope no one has any significant amount of money in it, since its true value is actually less than that of an honest reproduction in good condition.

Jim

Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback, I guess that the general answer is that it is indeed a repo. Thanks for the help. anyone know what to value this at?

A modern shootable clone from Pietta or Uberti goes for ~ $200-250 at Cabelas. This is not marked as to who really made it, so it could be valued at even less per James K. I'm not sure I'd even want to try to fire it. Maybe someone would want it who was into CW reenactments, as it does (from a distance) look like the real thing.

I was about to make a joke about "it's not worth much send it to me for proper disposal" but after reading the thread... well... I think I'd make sure it was a safe shooter before firing it and it might be best as a nice wall hanger. :)

Let me be clear about one thing. That gun is NOT a repro as we understand the term. Reproduction guns are made like the originals, but with modern markings and changes that would prevent them from being passed as antiques. That gun may have started as a repro, but it has been altered in order to be passed off as an antique gun. It is a deliberate, conscious fake, made to look old and with fake markings put on; it can have no other purpose but to defraud a purchaser who thinks he is buying an original and valuable antique revolver.

Jim

Sorry to say but it's a clone. And what gave it away is the hammer. On one of the pictures you see that the spur of the hammer is not serrated. Looks like a Pietta modified to look like the real deal....
Mostly these Piettas are good shooters so not everything has been lost...

Good advice, GG, but in this case the gun is so obviously not authentic that it is not necessary to get into that kind of detail.

Jim

1851 Navy Colt

You gentlemen have me more curious than ever at this point. All the items pointed out from era correct barrel design stamp to the hammer profile and hand checkering, corrections or identifiers tell me that I am holding a true 3rd gen 1851 Navy Colt. One difference though is mine doesn't have the 36 cal. stamped on the trigger guard. serial # 138xxx which shows to manufactured in 1863. My cylinder # is 2546 which doesn't match any of the other numbers on the gun, also the wedge doesn't have any numbers on it at all. Would this set off any flags?? Thanks for all the information!!!

Kelly Mark

2ndgenwin posssible the wedge got lost, that's not dramatic and a lot of original revolvers of that era don't have their original cylinder either.... Check if all serials are present. Turn the gun around you'll see the serial on the butt , trigger guard , frame and barrel. Open the loading lever check it's inside the serial should be there too....

2ndgenwin posssible the wedge got lost, that's not dramatic and a lot of original revolvers of that era don't have their original cylinder either

Agreed, mismatched cylinders and wedges are not at all unusual (I have a '49 Pocket with the same condition). They detract somewhat from the value, but do not make the gun any less authentic.

Biggest giveaway to it's not being a First Gen is the serial number. SN 1241 should be a 1st model Navy (SN 1 - 1250) with the wedge over the wedge screw and a dado cut on the arbor instead of the slot. There are no pictures of the right side of the barrel/frame, but I would bet on the loading notch being beveled rather than just V type as a 1st Gen should be.

Cylinder shows signs of never having safety pins.

Colts Patent on cylinder is wrong font and shouldn't be stacked

As well as the other incorrect characteristics mentioned.

There is a distinct possibility that this is a piece made up of original and reproduction parts meaning to deceive - rather than just repros.

Agreed, mismatched cylinders and wedges are not at all unusual (I have a '49 Pocket with the same condition). They detract somewhat from the value, but do not make the gun any less authentic.

Just what you say. Doesn't make it less authentic at all.

I've had a few Euroarms 51's in my day. In my opinion, they had a clumsy looking hammer (not elegant like an original). The hammer on subject revolver sure reminds me of those on the Euros. As for my two cents (not pure copper), I vote for fake.

Back