1851 Colt Conversion Question

Thank you Captchee. 1.378 is a little short. The loads for my Remington are 1.40 not including the rim. But I should be able to seat the bullet a little deeper to make it fit.

Not sure why the cartridge barrel would be wider but it's possible. Remember the cartridge barrel doesn't have the cut out under the bore to fit aball under the rammer so that might make it look wider. but i never tried this on the Colts so don't take my word for it.

It worked on my Uberti Remington. The barrel was a slightly thicker profile than the original percussion barrel so I had to grind down the cylinder pin just a tad to clear the barrel but otherwise it screwed right in.

The frames on the Colts are a little different between the C&B and factory cartridge versions. The recoil shield is cut a little further back on the conversions which is what lets the Ubertis chamber .38 Spl. So it's entirely possible that they might have changed the barrel dimensions too.

Just thought I'd throw an update in here before people go wasting money. After doing more research it seems it is NOT possible to use the factory conversion barrels from Uberti on their percussion frames.
The frames are slightly taller on the cartridge guns to accommodate a wider cylinder that can hold 6 shots of .45 Colt. which cylinders intended for the percussion frames can not.
This is not historically accurate but I guess Uberti did it because .45 Colt is a popular cartridge and people like their 6 shooters to be 6 shooters.
Anyway the barrel is taller to accomodate the wider cylinder and taller frame.

Just getting it out there so I don't end up spreading bad info. Either way after searching all the various Uberti parts retailers, noone has them in stock, and I suspect those barrels are one of those parts that simply isn't available all by itself.

these are great posts with excellent advise. I never could get a 38 conversion to fit in 36's so we sent them back. as a back up you can always call Taylors & Co and ask for tom. Tom is good:)

WBH

Back