1848 Whitneyville question(s)

Nah, 45 Dragoon, your revolvers really look nice. It is sometimes hard to tell from looking at a photo on the internet.

I can foresee a seldom used hex wrench, from the garage, with 90 degree bend in it in my future, once I "pull the trigger" on the dragoon. I shall call it my "tactical" ejector, and maybe dangle it from a string below the revolver for easy access! Sorta wrap it around the ramrod, and lock the ramrod into place.

45Dragoon, I have seen elsewhere where guys are loading longer brass for some (to me) obscure cartridge like 460 Linebaugh or the like with BP for their dragoons. My initial impression is that might be dangerous, but maybe it isn't. --Seeing that the cap and ball versions will hold a huge powder charge. Have you experimented with any of that?

Stubbi,
I have some 454 Casull brass and plan on extending the chambers for it (in my Dragoons). My reason is to get the bullet closer to the chamber mouth. Not to mention big guns need big brass!!!
Of course loading to 45 Colt pressures.

If I were doing that for the Walker, I'd use 460 S&W brass but for safe smokeless loads at 45 Colt pressures, there may be just too much space in the cartridge. I only shoot smokeless.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Stubbi, did you get my pm?

Back