1847 Uberti Walker on Gunbroker

I carried my Walker on the belt for 4 years when I was walking fence on the farm. I didn't quick draw it, but I did dispatch a lot of rattlers with it. I left it blued too, I kinda like the blue look. It was a bit heavy to carry, but I really enjoyed shooting it and it was quite accurate with that long barrel, so it was my choice of carry then.

Here's another pristine original:

Jx9a_Rc_Fj3d_TSBo_Jhg_Y52_Fd_Byp0_RDz2x_Jzgcu_Ou8_Qhl_QCY1503923571250.jpg

https://www.antiquesandthearts.com/julia-sells-rare-colt-walker-for-record-920000/

Sold for $920,000 at auction.

THREE THOUSAND TIMES more expensive than a repro Uberti(!!!).

With a cylinder bleach and some recontouring and refinishing of the grips, one would have an awfully close copy.

I could see buying a 2nd cylinder and bleaching that one.
Bleaching the original cylinder takes away from the value of the gun.

Can someone give the proof mark code that's stamped on the Walker that they bought on Gunbroker?
Usually it's 2 letters stamped inside of a square box on the side of the frame.

It seems that it most resembles the 1st Model or variation of the Colt Walker dragoon.
The photo in the ad for the auction shows that it has the oval cylinder cutouts and square back trigger guard.
Overall it's a great deal. :)

mailemaker said:
You buy a Walker to see what it was like to shoot the most powerful handgun in the world until the advent of the .357 Magnum. You buy a Walker to see what it was that got Captain Walker to get Sam Colt to build a 6-shot carbine cannon you could hold in your hand.
Fixed that for you.

I figure I'll be keeping my Walker, as long as I'm around. So just to see how it would work, I did bleach the cylinder with vinegar. Easy to do, and I polished it up a bit, afterwards. I actually like it. I have quite a number of blued BP revolvers, a few stainless steel, one engraved, and one with polished steel. This just adds another "look", to the rest of the collection.

No, not yet, have to work tonight, but I will the next day I’m off and have time, I have disassembled,cleaned and filed down some rough edges and such, is a little smoother

But I’ll be using white vinegar, and might use casey’s cold blue to take the “factory shine” off

It seems that it most resembles the 1st Model or variation of the Colt Walker dragoon.
The photo in the ad for the auction shows that it has the oval cylinder cutouts and square back trigger guard.
Overall it's a great deal.

It does have the oval cutouts and square back trigger guard

On a side note... I had to use the nipple wrench from my hawken ( is slightly bigger) to remove the nipples from my walker, my regular wrench from my other guns was too small. But it looks like it’ll take #10 nipples though (I’ll be taking #11’s jic next week when I go shoot)

Last edited:
Back