180 grain winchester soft point question

"I wonder how people ever shot game with those crappy cup-n-core bullets"

Obviously, I didn't make my point. I wasn't discounting the viability of using cup and core bullets, I was stating my rather low opinion of the Winchester specifically. The Winchester common soft point is several steps below Remington's Corelokt in several areas including retained weight and penetration IMHO. Claiming a bullet is suitable for XYZ simply based on weight is illogical. Of course the parent company will recommend their product w/o reservation because it will work at least some of the time.
In addition: the cost of 2 or 3 boxes of factory ammo loaded with Nosler Partitions is fairly insignificant compared to the other costs involved in a moose hunt(unless there's a moose in your back yard).

Last edited:
There are indeed differences among brands with respect the cup and core bullets. Everyone has their favorites but the differences among them all isn't exactly night and day.

Manufacturing these simple bullets has become more consistent through the years which helps as well.

Most of the broad stroke statements are based on brand more than anything else. One of the more common of these regurgitations are that sierra game kings are too soft or blow up.
The truth is while many weights are more frangible they also hold together pretty well and some game kings are even stouter in some weights than their counterparts.

Painting with a broad stroke isn't good but I dare say the 30 caliber 180gr c&c bullets were made for animals such as moose.

Obviously, I didn't make my point. I wasn't discounting the viability of using cup and core bullets, I was stating my rather low opinion of the Winchester specifically. The Winchester common soft point is several steps below Remington's Corelokt in several areas including retained weight and penetration IMHO. Claiming a bullet is suitable for XYZ simply based on weight is illogical. Of course the parent company will recommend their product w/o reservation because it will work at least some of the time.
In addition: the cost of 2 or 3 boxes of factory ammo loaded with Nosler Partitions is fairly insignificant compared to the other costs involved in a moose hunt(unless there's a moose in your back yard).

You claim its not a good bullet but others have killed Moose just fine with it and Winchester states it is good for Moose. You are making a blanket statement about others here which is not true as well. A 180 gr bullet will kill a moose, period. They've been killing moose for multi decades with c-n-c along with plain old lead. Not sure what your point is but you seem to be preaching something nobody is arguing. The OP mentioned the specific bullet which is perfectly acceptable. Just search the web and you will find people who swear by a specific brand/type bullet and others that will think it's completely junk. Including Nosler Partitions. Sure there are better bullets to use but it will get the job done.

Last edited:
A 165 will kill any game in North America. So will a 180.
If somebody asks you where to shoot a moose. Say, "Close to the road."
And moose is the plural of moose.

180 sp from a 30-06 is the "classic" elk round for decades. Moose are larger than elk, but not so much larger that 180 won't be enough.

Good luck

On your scope rings:
I'm a little concerned that your smith is recommending high rings.
If you have some huge 50 MM plus objective scope...maybe. The rings need to be tall enough so the scope objective clears the barrel.
Generally,it is desirable to use the lowest rings that will mechanically work with the rifle/scope combination,with one other very important factor.
How the rifle fits you.
If the scope rings are the right height for YOU...when you shoulder the rifle naturally and bring the gun to your face WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED,when you open your eyes you have a full,bright field of view and you are looking at crosshairs.
IF you have to lift your face and find the scope view.....NOT GOOD. That's slow and hard to shoot well.No spot weld.

Not all scope bases are equal. I have seen some horrible machining on the underside of even name brand bases.
Leupold PRW rings are precise and bombproof.I would suggest replacing the Millet baseswith matching Leupolds at the same time,with the correct bases for your rifle.
Old days..Many rifles were milsurps or commercial mausers. Variation in receiver rings was to be expected.
Your weatherby is produced by modern methods and I would expect tolerances and variations to be minimal.
Good luck!

"You are making a blanket statement about others here which is not true as well. A 180 gr bullet will kill a moose, period."
I'm making a comment based on personal experience with Winchester Power Point bullets based on in the field use of this ammo in 4 cartridges and bullet weights "recommended by Winchester" for the game being hunted. Each and every one of the bullets exhibited over-expansion/fragmentation and poor penetration on multiple applications. Are these examples of a bullet design you would "recommend" for use on the largest herbivore on the continent?
On a perfect broadside shot at moderate range(say 150-200 yards), such bullet performance "will kill a moose, period". For something less perfect(say a 50 yard shot that hits the shoulder or a quartering away-this is my only chance shot), I wouldn't bet on it.
I don't operate on hoping for the "best case scenario" and don't give advice based on such.

"You are making a blanket statement about others here which is not true as well. A 180 gr bullet will kill a moose, period."

I've seen that bullet work just fine on large bull Elk. You have personal limited experience just as I have. Moose aren't any tougher. That "best case scenario" only is bull crap. Also if you try hitting a moose in the shoulder with anything but a heavy magnum you are doing it wrong. Do not take "chance shots", period.

Last edited:
Guys, most soft point 180s (if not all of them) are MADE for tougher game. Deer take 150s (but such as Nosler Partitions in 150 grain are quite capable of Elk.)

Find us a 180 soft point that does not say game up to Moose and Elk!

Deaf

I have hunted white tail all my life, last 30 years with a 44 mag because I lived in a shotgun or handgun only area. I grew up in Pennsylvania and used rifles until I moved here. Now they changed the law and we can use rifles. However, with all the deer I go , and hopefully with this moose hunt, I never fired a round if I could not make a clean kill. I have no intention of wounding anything and never have in my 64 years. So if I shoot a moose, it will be a clean kill or I won't shoot. My dad taught me that as a little kid.

Back