17hmr...am I crazy?

Kvon2

So recently I've been wanting to get a wheel gun in 17hmr.

Any thoughts or experiences?

It would essentially only be a target gun and I understand there are definitely cheaper calibers to do this with. But I kind of just want a 17hmr.

Am I crazy?

If you "just want one", then no, you are not crazy. That's probably the main reason most of us buy any of our guns.

If you truly just want it for target shooting, as you say, I think it's a mistake simply because there are countless better options.

But even that doesn't mean you shouldn't get one and sure doesn't mean you are crazy.

The Ruger Single Six in .17hmr certainly is interesting. Could be a great little gun to own and shoot. I have 3 rifle in the .17hmr and they're all lots of fun to shoot. Plus the Ammo is affordable. I'd go for it.

Your post intrigued me so much I ordered a Ruger Single Six in .17HMR yesterday evening. Price on Impact Guns was pretty good. Anxious to get it and see how it shoots.

Think ammo cost & availability.

I could probably hand load .38 Special rounds for less cost than a box .17HRM.

Yeah the revolver I buy will either be 17hmr or 357/38 and it seems 17hmr can be had for a little cheaper (at least of the time off this post) than even 38 special.

JWT, I am jealous! Keep us posted.

"...just want a 17hmr..." "I want one." is the best reason to buy anything. Being a bit crazy isn't a bad thing anyway.
Smith makes their Model 647 DA revolver. Rugers Single Six. The Taurus' Tracker. Budget and what fits your hand.
Ammo starts at about $12 per 50 at Cabela's.
"...find it on line..." Shipping and hazmat fees will negate any savings found on-line. Buy ammo locally.

Shipping and hazmat fees will negate any savings found on-line.
Is the hazmat fee something new? I have ordered hard to find, special, milsurp, or sale priced ammo from numerous sources, and have never paid a hazmat fee. Primers, and powder, yes. Loaded ammo, no.
BTW, depending on the sale price, the prices can be comparable to LGS, but for ammo that some don't carry much of.
Ammunition is considered "ORM-D", same as butane lighters and aerosol hairspray. These items are regulated only in the packaging being labeled , ORM-D.

I think I've always paid a hazmat fee on ammo online.

In my experience it's only cheaper online when you're buying in bulk. The selection is certainly better though.

The biggy with a 17 HMR handgun is NOISE. May as well be shooting a 357. The reason is that 17 ammo is designed for rifles and uses relatively slow powder giving a fireball and high level muzzle blast when fired through short barrel. This also results in reduced performance due to lower velocity.
If you "want one" that's fine with me but it's a novelty more than anything else.

Shipping and hazmat fees will negate any savings found on-line. Buy ammo locally.
I've never paid a hazmat fee in the U.S. for loaded ammo.

When I buy in bulk, shipping charges are usually pretty similar to what sales tax would be for local purchases.

I've found that if I shop around (and buy in bulk), I can usually beat local prices online, even with shipping charges included.

I think I've always paid a hazmat fee on ammo online.
If it is not something required by your state you have been getting ripped off. There is no requirement for a hazmat fee on loaded ammo. The only requirement, as quoted previously, is that the package be labeled "ORM-D"

My experience with on line ammo purchases has been the same as JohnKSa. I usually by at least 500 rounds to amortize the freight and easily beat local prices.

I'm just now realizing it seems any 17hmr revolvers in production come with a 6 inch barrel. Do we think that's just the nature of the beast with 17hmr?

About 15 years ago I had a Taurus (can't remember the model number) in .17 HMR. I had a lot of problems with case setback, even with a perfectly dry and oil free chamber. After a couple shots it was difficult to turn the cylinder and it was very spongy. I quickly traded it off. Good luck on yours.

Back