16gauge french shotgun wwII era

yes jim, i have to agree that the gun may have been made nearly 70 yrs. ago and records are not very avaible. but just maybe, somewhere in france the records do exist for this gun. it would be interesting to find its orgins and perhaps any value. its a fine gun and never failed my father whom used it for bird hunting up to the mid 1980' s . by the way, i was wondering if dr. smith is a english professor at harvard or yale .

Edward E. Smith, PhD, was a manufacturing chemist on his "day job" before the speciality of chemical engineering was offered. In his spare time he wrote science fiction. The Galactic Patrol spoke - or telepathed - in Precisionist English. Which is a lot easier to read than the typical internet post.

Good luck.

I'm done.

wow far out! chemist on his '' day job '' spare time science fiction and the galactic patrol. well any way thank you for the good luck !

Your shotgun is connected to a certain Boniface Petrik who began to take out patents for shotgun mechanisms in the 1920s. Subsequently he went into partnership with a St Etienne manufacturer called Damon producing guns marked Damon Petrik. This company folded in the 1960s, I think.

It seems that your gun was made by Petrik before the Damon-Petrik partnership - but I don't know when that was! Even so a pre-WWII date may be possible.

My feeling is that Offray was the distributer at Orleans.

However, guns employing Petrik's patents were sometimes known as "Systeme Petrik", so Petrik on your gun may be merely a reference to this, I don't know.

Hope this may further your search a little.

[i have to agree that the gun may have been made nearly 70 yrs. ago and records are not very avaible. but just maybe, somewhere in france the records do exist for this gun. it would be interesting to find its orgins and perhaps any value.]

Get your passport up to speed - It looks like a sabbatical to France is in order ! ;) :p :D

thank you neruda for the useful info. it would be nice to find out the meaning of '' offray orleans '' i think that would be a great help. if you check out the site www.littlegun.be and go to france, petrik damon there is a illustration '' fusil #1 '' wich resembles my gun. also, i may consider a trip to france ! you never know i may have a rare piece that could actually pay for my trip, and i really wouldn't have to worry about my ''precisionist english'' just my french.

Back